Override Switches on DMX Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardWard

Reaction score
I have a hobbyist customer who is running multiple zones of DMX lighting from his PC. 

He wants 'normal' switches to bring on, dim and switch off the DMX lights to override the DMX from the PC.

Anyone got any ideas?

I believe the output side of the controllers  will be from a triac on the live side with the neutral connected straight through.  Subject to checking this, you would need to break into the live feed of each group with a switch which selects between either the DMX or a manual dimmer.

I have some DMX dimmers, yes they do have triacs, but they switch the Neutral.

Although its not me, I would be inclined to tell the customer it sounds an easy thing to do, but in reality, it isn't, not to mention it would require a whole lot of wall space (Change over and dimmer switches) and  if it goes wrong, YOU get the blame, and you are sorry but you decline to do this part of the job, but has he considered something like Phillips hue, and an amazon echo dot? You don't need a pc, it can be set up to come on or off at set times, AND you can ask it to turn the lights on, off, dim and change colour.

Many thanks all for your help. The more I look into this the more of a nightmare it becomes. When I hear 'Triac' I shudder.

My customer has now pointed me to this, turns out he had it in his mind from day one, hence why he went DMX. For the sake of £50 I'll give it a go. 

http://www.ledlightingproducts.co.uk/DMX Overrider.html

I'm sure the nightmare isn't over yet, I'll post how I get on!

Again, thanks for your support!