Wago connectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ati

Reaction score
Can I use wago connectors without the wago box if I’m connecting downlighters with them? Can’t I  use insulating black tape to wrap up and insulate  the connectors agains moisture in the loft? Or is that a suicidal solution? I find the wago box a bit loose anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to use a Wago box, but you need to use a connection box of some description, I tend to use Choc box with Wago connectors for doing downlights, I use a cable tie to anchor the cables in the box as I find the supplied clamp far too fiddly.

Don't wrap them in tape and leave them loose in loft, that would be very poor practice. 

PS there shouldn't be moisture in your loft, bit concerning if there is.

The loft is dry and clean at the moment. I meant moisture by any reason in the future.

I find Chocboxes a bit flimsy. Also the spotlights are in between beams so there is nowhere to screw the junction boxes apart from the ceiling plaster board which I don’t really want to do. I will redo these connections then using some proper junction boxes. Didn’t know that electrical tapes can be a problem to insulate connections. Thanks for your comments indeed. 

Regulation 526.5 requires all joints to be inside a suitable enclosure or accessory and 526.8 requires all unsheathed conductors to be inside an enclosure, i.e. No exposed unsheathed wiring visible outside of a junction box or accessory. The use of Wago's and or any use of insulation tape does not remove these requirements. Whatever method you choose you also must have a means of securing the cables so they cannot be pulled outside of the enclosure or so the joints cannot be pulled apart. A box with appropriate cable clamps does not need to be screwed to a beam, i.e. this is no different to a plug or socket on an extension lead, as long as the cable clamps are tight, no live unsheathed cables can become exposed. (Whereas a traditional round j/box, screwed to a beam and with all cables clipped, would not need cable clamps as both box and cables are fixed to prevent movement of the joint.) 

Doc H. 

Doc said it better than me :)  ^^

Just referencing your key points to a couple of regs. to assist Ati and any others reading a bit more detail to the reasoning. I am sure thousands of DIY'ers out there think traditional screw connectors wrapped in tape is acceptable and therefor also, as the OP implies, think Wago's wrapped in tape are Ok.  

Doc H.

Latest posts