Michael

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavermik98

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Michael and looking for some advise please.

My father in law has had a quote for bathroom upgrade. He's having bath out and shower in, new toilet act all in existing locations. He's been told that the pull switch mounted on  the ceiling does not comply and he'll have to pay for a wall switch to be fitted outside the bathroom. Is this right?

I understand a light switch in the bathroom is dangerous but surely a pull switch is ok.

Please advise me on this,

Thanks in advance

Michaeletc

Hi all,

I'm Michael and looking for some advise please.

My father in law has had a quote for bathroom upgrade. He's having bath out and shower in, new toilet act all in existing locations. He's been told that the pull switch mounted on  the ceiling does not comply and he'll have to pay for a wall switch to be fitted outside the bathroom. Is this right?

I understand a light switch in the bathroom is dangerous but surely a pull switch is ok.

Please advise me on this,

Thanks in advance

Michaeletc

Hello, welcome to the forum, personally my gut instinct is they are talking rubbish. But we would need to know some actual measurements to verify if the existing switch would contravene any of the bathroom zones.

e.g.  https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/issues/53/section-701-locations-containing-a-bath-or-shower/    or   https://electrical.theiet.org/media/1450/section-701.pdf

may help you to understand what is or is not permissible with wiring regulations BS7671.

Doc H. 

Welcome along.

If your ceiling is less than 225cm high and the pull cord will be within 60cm of the edge of the shower cubicle, (or if it is a wet room then within 120cm of the shower head) then this would not be permissible, usually the easiest course is to move the switch across the ceiling so that it is away from the shower,  but this is not always practical.

Where abouts are you.

I've noticed a lot of properties in the Republic of Ireland have switches outside the bathroom, I'm not sure if it is a regulation or not.

@Risteard would be able to confirm.

Pull cords are fine @rapparee however bathroom lights (if indeed in the south of Ireland) must be on a dedicated RCBO (as do any other circuits in the bathroom). Also need to be supplementary bonded. Luminaires must be enclosed so that lamp is inaccessible.

I have put my light switch on the outside of the bathroom, only because I have four daughters so to get in anytime within the next millennium I can plunge them into darkness to gee them along!!!

I have put my light switch on the outside of the bathroom, only because I have four daughters so to get in anytime within the next millennium I can plunge them into darkness to gee them along!!!
I thought that was what MCBs were for.

I'm too lazy to walk downstairs...

From what I recall up until the start of October 2017, Deke used to give a Top-ten ranking of all Lazy Barstewards on the forum..

you were always in the top 5 Sidney....

But ….

KME, Apache, Canoeboy, & Steptoe were soooo  lazy they even stopped posting on the forum so were a very hard act to beat!! 

Deke even voted himself into 4th place in March 2018 if I recall??

or maybe to many  Guinness Guinness Guinness

are clouding my judgement..?

I can well understand your reluctance to walk down to the fusebox….

although I only have three daughters so my problems are only 75% of yours....

I do know the "Bathroom" issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :eek:

(Do you also get the abundance of online shopping orders coming through that you have to sign  for, but they forget to mention a parcel may be coming!?)

:|

Last edited by a moderator:
Eldest is only 9 so I have that to come yet.

My garage is slowly being moved in to..😁

Oh..  My garage is my final point of refuge from the wife and the two fifths of my offspring who are at the moment living back at home.... :unsure:

Me & Mrs Spec-loc have produced two lads & three girls between us, (I think we found the cause and have adopted suitable tactics to reduce the probability of further offspring)  :B

The two eldest and our youngest currently live in Worcester, Sheffield & Portsmouth...  So no probs from their living habits... ;)  

But two of my daughters have been and done University.. and now come back re-occupying rooms in "Spec-Loc Towers."   :huh:

But as they are now also both earning their own money...  they can internet shop as and when the whim fancies...   :eek:

I think over 75% of our calls at the front door are either Amazon, Hermes, DPD, or other such parcel couriers delivering almost every combination of female fashion attire you can imagine!!   :(

So I often go and potter around sorting a few tools and various items of electrical test gear and stock on the shelves in the garage...

Nothing like another 'Stock-Check' with a few cans of beer Guinness

whilst leaving Mrs Spec-Loc and the daughters to evaluate this weeks dancing scores on Strictly!!! :shakehead :pmsl1:

A garage can be a very tranquil and relaxing place to be.

:Salute

use yours wisely so it can always be a means of swift escape....

:p  

(I think we found the cause and have adopted suitable tactics to reduce the probability of further offspring)  :B
I kept telling you what was causing  the increase in population  but you wouldn't have it !! :C

My escape from the rigours of "Strictly"     and  the soaps  used to be  invoicing , typing up  quotes etc    .  Not much of that these days so  still scuttling for the office , a couple of obscure folk songs  if I know the chords ,  the Forumbulator ,  any gems on Youtube , check emails  etc.