RCD PROTECTION

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen rowland

Reaction score
Hi

have a lighting display company on our site setting up displays for christmas and plugging into some areas of our infrastructure.

In some instances they want to utilise our 16 amp and 32 amp c form outlets around site which are outside of the equipotential zone being outside.

These are currently backed by 30ma rcbo's but the contractor is asking us to change to 100ma to "conform to regs" ?????

i can't understand this or agree with it as am i right that 30ma gives you shock protection and 100ma will only give you fire protection and surely as the equipment is outside it should surely be 30ma??

i think it maybe as they are using loyts of LED lighting it will give them nuisance tripping issues??

Ask your contractor exactly which regulation he wants to conform to.

It's all well and good saying 'it's the regulations' but having one to back it up is normally a good idea.

Properly working and safe lights should not bother a 30mA rcd.

Are they trying to say they leak like a sieve and as soon as it rains a 30mA rcd will trip?

LED drivers probably have earth leakage issues in large quantities. 

I cam't think of anything involving outdoor lighting that requires 30mA or 100mA RCDs except things like bus-shelters. External floodlighting have no RCD requirements, same as street lighting. Think it comes under section 107 of BS7671 - not sure as I don't have regs book to hand, and not sure that applies to temporary installation works.