DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Retrofit LED 5ft tubes in existing fittings query.

binky
18 hours ago, bluetobits said:

So if someone puts the shorted end in the live end cap with the Crompton tube, what happens?

it trips the MCB.

bluetobits
1 hour ago, binky said:

it trips the MCB.

Exactly. That's why i prefer installation method A and remove the ballast

binky

you don't tend to do it twice, the driver end is quite obvious, but if that's what you prefer so be it. 

bluetobits

I'm not having a dig, it's just that if dodgy Dave puts a replacement LED tube in, will the driver end be obvious to him

bluetobits
21 minutes ago, bluetobits said:

I'm not having a dig, it's just that if dodgy Dave puts a replacement LED tube in, will the driver end be obvious to him

What if diy Derek has fitted a horse shoe in place of his 5 amp fuse link? That could be a nasty surprise especially if he hasn't isolated the supply before fitting the tube as i know we seldom tend to

Evans Electric

Hey  ProDave , he's calling you Dodgy Dave   & me  DIY Derek :innocent

Actually I can now see the logic in wiring through the two end caps ....if the tube is fitted the other way  it will still work  & the fuse will be in the Line  ...but still won't kill the lamp circuit .  It should be upstream of the tube . 

As an after thought , I think the US sparks call fluorescent end caps ."Tombstones" 

Geoff1946

Those "tombstones", or whatever you want to call them often appear to me of very flimsy construction. I have seen older ones disintegrate too.

Originally they operated with only a few volts between their two contacts and the idea of putting mains straight onto them seems suspect to me, but I suppose someone has   considered this and deemed it OK.

bluetobits
1 hour ago, Evans Electric said:

Hey  ProDave , he's calling you Dodgy Dave   & me  DIY Derek :innocent

Well, if the cap fits....(only kidding)

I've read far too many of your posts to argue otherwise

Evans Electric

Well  its good to  hear somebody reads 'em !!

binky

blue tits is a cheeky bugger  :^O

binky
3 hours ago, Geoff1946 said:

Those "tombstones", or whatever you want to call them often appear to me of very flimsy construction. I have seen older ones disintegrate too.

Originally they operated with only a few volts between their two contacts and the idea of putting mains straight onto them seems suspect to me, but I suppose someone has   considered this and deemed it OK.

if the caps are knackered, you need to change the fitting. Ballasts step up voltages to create an arc, it's certainly more than a few volts, and of course the original lamp would be 2 / 3 times the wattage and run hotter.