Night school / online course help / suggestions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barwiks

Reaction score
good evening.

im after a training company to start my learning into becoming an electrician. It’s a tad harder picking the right company as my local collages don’t seem to offer online or night school training .

So if I go with an online company is there any that can be recommended to be correct for what I’m after as I need to keep my day job ? 

( I’m after learning to be a sparky - and I’m 47 so old lol ) 

thanks for your time 

regards John 

John what you need from any training provider is the correct course not an optional extra course. It would be better for you to establish exactly what you need to be regarded as a qualified electrician — refer to Jib grading requirements this will detail the qualifications you will need. 

Then speak to each training provider telling them what you want not what they want to give you. 

Always remember it is you money your time so you need to stay in control. Many training providers will want to draw you in to their all encompassing courses which will according to them cost a little more but get you a lot more — however this is not the truth, you will know this if you do your research first. 

Only then will you know which one you want to study with. 

As said by my  learned colleague  ,   There are a set of courses  within C&Gs  that you need to take ,  someone will tell you what  they are exactly .   Don't waste money on courses not needed to become an electrician . Many do it seems.   

One  stumbling block you face  which causes problems for many in your position  is that  a later  course requires you to be working with an electrical company  /  an electrician  , gaining practical knowledge  ,  keeping a log  of what you do .   

Often the only way this can work these days  is to sign on as a labourer or Adult Mate    

Hhhmmm ok that’s helpful ,

I’ll start looking and I can narrow down the wrong courses . I’m after just starting to train to do domestic electrical work nothing grander than that but don’t want to waste my hard earned on the wrong course . I’m aware the nvq level 3 on site will be tricky but that’s a bit off yet . I quite enjoy learning first . 

Thanks for the time 

good evening.

im after a training company to start my learning into becoming an electrician. It’s a tad harder picking the right company as my local collages don’t seem to offer online or night school training .

So if I go with an online company is there any that can be recommended to be correct for what I’m after as I need to keep my day job ? 

( I’m after learning to be a sparky - and I’m 47 so old lol ) 

thanks for your time 

regards John 

Hello John,    From you post it is not clear what your existing qualifications or experience is. As such its hard to know what courses you would need to be enrolling on. There is not just one single course to become an electrician, it is a complement of various aspects relating to electrical science e.g. the physics and characteristics of how electrical current operates. The design considerations about how to make sure your wiring won't kill someone or burn down a property. The rules and regulations about what is permitted as a safe installation. The practical aspects of how to physically install equipment and wiring. The inspection, testing, certifying and documenting any work you have done to accept liability that you are not endangering those who will be using your installed circuits. etc.. 

All training providers are businesses who want to sell you their products, (training courses), some will encourage people to purchase courses that will be of no practical use to them whatsoever. (PAT being on of the most common).  As has been said, if you don't already know what you want to buy its like going into any shop and having the sales person talk you into loads of items you didn't really want.  As a side observation I cannot see how you would be able to do the normal practical coursework content if you are on-line only?  Some wrongly assume that just doing domestic means you can skip a lot of fundamental electrical principals and have no need to learn them. Domestic supplies can still kill people just as quickly as commercial or industrial installations. The basics of circuit design to ensure correct earthing arrangements and protective devices are installed and functional must still be understood and proven by qualifications and training.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Barwics, I'm a complete newbie to this forum thing so forgive me if my advice is a little late. I started an on-line training course  2 years ago as I was running my own business (unrelated) and  was aged nearly 60 at the time and so couldn't consider an apprenticeship. I enrolled with a well-known provider who also offered a series of week-long practicals at training centres (5 in total). They sold me courses I found out I didn't need (see PAT testing above). Told me my quals would get me to level 3 (they dont). And they refused to honour some of my accomodation costs incurred during those practical weeks in spite of including this aspect in their initial offering. Caveat emptor....

The area wher you might struggle a bit is when trying to join a competent person scheme as these quite rightly want to know that you know what you're doing and you'll need to do some work for them to assess you on. This is difficult without having the knowledge/confidence etc to get the work in the 1st place. its a real conundrum that you'll have to find your way around yourself. I have found that by talking to local electricians here, that a huge amount of advice, support etc is on offer, including a solution to the above problem.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy the job as much as I am.