Do I really need this ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think not TBH !   

BT are offering me an upgrade to 100mbts    for an extra £7   month .   

I don't do games , I don't download  films ,  thing seems to work fine at 43 mbyts  for what I do .

Opening the Forum takes just a few seconds ...just timed Google  ...it opened in 3 secs   , I typed in Abraham Lincoln  and it threw up a load of sites within 1 sec .  I don' t  need 100 do I ?   

You could run IPTV through a service like this. That would be an annual bill of about £50 for Sky TV

Hmmm   That prompts another question .  Do I need Sky TV  ?  Do I need a licence to watch Sky TV ?   Is there anything on Sky I might watch ? 

BT  are always offering me television   :C  I think why don't you stick to running a phone system ? 

it like Tmobile  a few years back ,  text to say Watch  England v  Spain  on your phone for  £££s    :(   Oh yesssss!!!  On a two inch screen , no thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned yesterday from a neighbour who changed to BT on the offer of having this 100 MPH  thing , that they can't achieve it in this area at the moment unless you live very near one of their street boxes.   

I've always worked on the basis that the less money I pay anyone, especially Sky, the less money they have to but up all the sports and other things that used to be free to watch on regular TV.

I would stay clear of BT - couldn't handle a pee-up in a brewery. You will find your broadband and telephone can only be connected 6 weeks apart FFS - been there, cancelled that contract!!!

You can check on-line who has best braodband speeds in your area.  Currently I have regular TV, a few channels from and broadband from Virgin, but find a Firestick offers better value than any Virgin package. It is also worth complaining to your current provider that you are thinking of moving and can they offer a better package at reduced cost - get something every time we do that, either more channels or reduced cost.

Thing is I find many of the channels we have now ...how can I say ...lettuced ... in fact many on our small TV in the kitchen we have deleted to save clicking through them .   Can't do that on  the other TV .    

Initially I thought all the extra channels you get were great, lots of things to watch. But after a few years I had watched all the interesting things, and they just kept repeating the same old stuff over and over again. You do occasionally get some new programmes not on regular TV - there's been a great series called 'Abandoned Engineering' all sorts of stuff like old railway bridges and even Tesla designed towers and a very large Russian radar aerial. But these new things are few and far between.