6 wire ceiling light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaynes84

Reaction score
Hi guys

I fitted a new light pendant and whilst it worked for a few days, it then blew and fused the switch in my hallway. I seem to have wired it incorrectly, so was wondering if anyone could advise on next steps? The hallway has two lights, one had three wires (blue/brown/earth) and the other had two of each. I put each pair of wires into the connector for the second pendant, which I'm guessing I shouldn't have done? It had three slots and the middle one seemed to be for the earth wire, should I have put two wires into this? And how would I sort out the fused light switch?

Many thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum, although DIY electrical work is legally permitted and we often advise members on numerous problems, in this particular case I would suggest you call and electrician with appropriate test meters to verify you haven't damaged anything else on the circuit. As you have done it wrong you obviously don't understand the basics of how electrical circuits work. (Supply - Switch - Load - Supply). You need to verify you haven't burned out any of the conductors feeding further lights along the circuit, e.g. you may be able to get this particular light "working" but in the process lose continuity of the protective earth conductor to the rest of the circuit.  Guessing with wires is never a good thing, and as electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second I would advise getting your exact circuit condition verified before doing any more random dabbling.

Doc H.