Introduction

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karolek

Reaction score
Hi my name is Charles

I'm fairly new to the electrical industry and I am currently in the 2nd year . I'm retraining at the young age of 50 years. Loving every minute of it. Former raf gunner, landscaper and caretaker.
I am looking to gain on the job experience and if there are any Sparks in my area (grimsby) willing to let me Shadow for a day or two adhoc I would be very grateful to trade experience for labour. Cheers.

Welcome Charles, admire your commitment at such a young age! 

Have you popped in to the local wholesalers and asked them if they know of any local sparks that may be able to assist you? 

I have handed my CV into the main wholesaler, I do work with a electrician on a very occasional basis in the commercial sector. I have a lot of experience in fire sysystems and eicr testing. I do however need to get out into the domestic scene to gather more experience.

Where did you gain you’re experience doing EICR’s? To my mind it’s a section of our trade that requires a considerable amount of knowledge regarding the regulations to do properly. (I’m no expert on this as I’ve never done one, not my field). If you have the corroborated knowledge I hope it’s in you’re CV, it’s a key selling point.

I have the experience from working alongside an electrician it's a skill I've learned not a qualification.  All though I spent 6months working on the testing side and remedial work .

I have handed my CV into the main wholesaler, I do work with a electrician on a very occasional basis in the commercial sector. I have a lot of experience in fire sysystems and eicr testing. I do however need to get out into the domestic scene to gather more experience.

I have the experience from working alongside an electrician it's a skill I've learned not a qualification.  All though I spent 6months working on the testing side and remedial work .

I'm fairly new to the electrical industry and I am currently in the 2nd year . I'm retraining at the young age of 50 years. Loving every minute of it. Former raf gunner, landscaper and caretaker.

Who is signing the declaration box on these EICR's your doing? If its you, what insurance do you have and have you read the paragraphs about required competence for undertaking EICR inspection and testing toward the front of guidance Note3? From your opening post a cannot see how you can be anywhere near competent to be doing EICR's? Without having yet attained the basic installation qualifications nor any inspection and testing qualifications. I do hope you have been just assisting with EICR's and not doing any on your own?  I wish you well with your studies but please don't take lightly the true levels of competence required to do inspection and testing correctly. As Tony quite rightly points out, it is an area of our trade very often done wrong by people who think they know what they are doing, but in reality lack the skill and experience needed.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator: