what's the best type of LED lights use for Home Lighting system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulqiorra

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new here hope you can recommend to me the suitable type of LED lights use for my home lighting improvement.

Welcome to the forum, this question is like asking what food you recommend for lunch? In both cases its down to personal taste, choice, budget, application etc. If you just click on any online LED supplier you will find a whole list of lamps and fittings suitable for home applications.

Doc H.

As Doc suggests, you could write a book on this and perhaps someone has done.

I can offer some hints based on personal experience gained when I decided to  go for LED throughout my bungalow.

There are purpose designed LED fittings with non-replaceable lamps, and there are lamps to go in traditional lamp sockets.  

The former are generally superior in terms of light distribution and appearance, but are more costly. The latter are cheap but need more care on your part to select suitable ones.

Light distribution from bulb replacement types is different to incandescents, tending to be more directional.  You will notice this most if you put the very popular GU10 floodlights into an existing fitting, when the light will tend to appear in pools. Similarly for any of the 50mm downlights.  Take any wattage/lumen  "equivalence"  information with a pinch of salt!  It is dependant on light spread and colour and is subjective.

You now have to consider colour temperature, rather as you did with fluorescents but more so.   -  Warm white/daylight/coolwhite?  makes a big difference.

Personally I favour the warmer end in living areas, the cooler in kitchen bathroom, outdoor and general utility areas. But its all up to your preference.

If you are creative and like making things yourself, the 12volt LED adhesive back strip is great. Run it from a proprietary driver/ power supply and there is no fire or shock risk. I've done under cabinet and display cabinet lighting using it.  It can also be used in pelmets, ceiling recesses, etc. Use the waterproof type for durabilty.   I often stick it onto a strip of uPVC and then fix that in place. Once again you have to choose colour and wattage against the effect you want.