Fob entry door system

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieross85

Reaction score
Hi y'all, need some help I have been asked as an extra to install a door entry system using fobs, for HMO I am working on I used to help install the type with keypad entry but never with fob. I have got all cat 5 in place to each lock and pad, but where do I take the cables too? One central co trolley system running all doors or a control system for each door, there will be one main entry door then three different rooms with fob entry. I just need some advice on what brands to buy and how the control panel remembers the fob for each door. Also can each tenant have 1 fob that will allow entry to main door and to their room? Any advice and help would be greatly accepted. Thank you in advance James 

You need to select a proprietary system which suits the customer's needs then follow the maker's instructions.

Those things can be anything from self contained per door, i.e. fob sensor, lock and power at each door, up to a centralised or even remote computer controlled system with monitoring and recording, etc. 

How on earth have you installed cables or estimated the costs of the job to see if its economically viable for you to do..

When, you don't even know what kit you have to install??

:C

Paxton all the way, I did a course with them last year and it was excellent, very informative. you can retain the keypad as well as fobs, if it is just one door then all you need is a cable from the reader by the front door back to the control unit, as others have said it's not the cheapest but it's one of the best. At it's simplest it's a basic access control system, but once you delve into it it does so much more, for example, suppose you have 3 area's now you can programme each card to behave differently at different times, card A could be set up to allow it access to all area's at all times, card B could be set to allow access to only 1 area and card C could be set to allow access to all area's between say 9 to 5 and only to area one between 5pm and 9 am. it also logs movements so you can tell who was in and who was out at any given time, it can be linked to other systems to turn on lights, arm or disarm security systems, and control heating. it really is a cracking piece of kit once you get used to it, A more secure, and possibly cheaper option in the long run would be to go with a biometric access, one system we work on has a fingerpring reader rather than cards or fobs.

in my experience Videx usually starts having problems after 2-3 years. It's at the cheap end of the market and behaves accordingly. Paxton is superior and key fobs can be programmed to do certain doors only.

My honest opinion is:

You think it sounds easy to do and can make some money out of it. (which is why you are in business) but you do not know how to wire it, you do not know what equipment to use and you do not know how to programme it. You will also have to maintain it, and as you do not know what you are doing you can not charge the customer for your learning curve time. I would politely decline the offer and tell your client you are willing to run the cables for who ever installs it and you will, of course, add the extra cost to the bill.

As I said the job sounds easy but with a  HMO people will soon lose fobs, want more fobs and want this and that changed, that is why it's best you walk away now and let someone else have the grief. 

never found any door entry difficult to fit, especially 2 wire systems, but I would certainly spec gear before running cables! Will probably need some form of power source at each door as, not something that tends to work over cat5! 

Put a fire alarm in one of the original HMOs

commissioned it in fron of the Station officer

all,good to go

he rang me a week later   for a sanity check!

"can you meet me on site please?"

met him on site

'you did fit a system didn't you? And I was here when you commissioned it wasn't I?"

"yes"

well......W. t. A. F. Is it then ?

it had been ripped out and sold in the local pub the evening of the day I commissioned it!

.....just saying