Christmas

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well the Christmas month has started and up goes badgers lights a advisory alert that your lights may dim from now until next year with our new lighting display going up at the moment I've excelled myself this year as there are 11 000 lights going through the garden with pictures to follow in the coming days 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see I'm not the only nutter, although tbh I take a back seat these days, a few years ago when the kids were younger I used to start in August! I'd sort out all the designs, then the equipment needed, then the fabrication, usually by the end of November the kit was ready to install. I used to make these Christmas tableaux, a bit like the stuff you'd see in Blackpool, each frame was about  6 feet square and we had a different theme every year, they were so big we had anchor points on the wall at roof height and used to winch these things into position, the funny thing was though that the local kids used to wait for the final piece to go up, if it didn't then as far as they were concerned it just wasn't Christmas, believe it or not, the final piece was a Coca Cola fibre optic sign that I had acquired during  a refit of the bar on Blackpools North Pier.

We actually had a control panel for this lot, one guy down the  road came up one night, he was a bit of a chav and I'd just started putting a few lights up, he told me I'd never beat his display, (excuse me I wasn't aware it was a competition) he'd got one of those stick on plastic silhouettes in each window and a rope light down the fence, I was just putting some small garden stuff up. His face was a picture when, a couple of days later he came up again, "what the hell are you, a nutter?" he asked when he saw all the stuff in place, "no, just an electrician" I replied.

One night we were sat in the lounge and I heard a noise outside, it sounded like a large truck stopping, I looked out and there was a fire engine on my front! I went out to see if anything was wrong and got chatting to the firemen, "it's ok, mate, the police and ambo will be here in a few minutes, don't worry" one of them told me. Don't worry, there's already a fire engine and apparently, the police and ambulance are on their way, what's going on? I needn't have worried though, it turned out they'd heard about my display and had driven past on their way back from a job to see if it was as big as they'd heard, it was, they'd put a call in to the local cop shop, they were pretty quiet, so decided to come and have a look, they'd contacted our small local ambo station, yes, they too were quiet, of course they'd like to see it, they'd be along shortly. It was hilarious seeing them all arrive, a riot van full of coppers and the 2 local medics in an ambulance. We even used to get minibuses full of oap's rolling up early evening, they'd just sit in the bus and look at the lights.

Everyone knew our house and I enjoyed seeing the little kids faces, I don't bother these days, but I enjoyed giving a little bit of pleasure to loads of people, and the kit didn't go to waste when I packed in, it went to 3 different families and they still use it now.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE. 

Are you not having real,reindeer this year?

did a shop refit in a shopping arcade in Leigh Lancs 6 years ago. Started n the Saturday 

first issue was that the start day was the same day as Santa arrived in the Centre AND he was pulled by REAL Reindeer!....Reindeer faeces everywhere, quite incontinenet your Reindeer when surrounded by screaming children AND a shopping centre manager/Hitler crying about his new floor 

Second issue was that we were not allowed to use trucks or bogeys inside so everything had to be hand balled....until,I mentioned that little old ladies were allowed the tartan wheeled trolleys!.....so we went to Home bargains and bought 20....it did look quite funny all these hairy arshed shop fitters  with little tartan trolleys wheeling through Rudolphs excreta

I once had a shopping centre manager try to tell me I couldn't park the works vans on the council pavement outside. Threated to report me to the parking fuhers he did! Got told parking fuhers had given permission for parking of vans on said pavement as we were installing lights for the council, ergo, he could foxtrot oscar  :^O