Outdoor camera light arm holder, electrical saftey

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borgy

Reaction score
I bought a outdoor metal arm which has a min cctv camera inside, has arm with a M10 female thread, with electrical connection inside and earth bond inside to metal base.

This is sold with no safety info for fitting, shows like you are buying a complete light fitting so was surprised to see it was a arm only, no light fittings with a hole in the arm and no cables.

It has a CE Mark but no Rosh details as there is a PCB board fitted.

So it's class1 and fitted outdoors at your door and easy to be touched by other people.

The selling info don't say you should seek professional advice to fit.

Have to find fitting to fit the M10 thread. Light holder, metal top with glass and wire it, make sure it's earthed.

Connect to supply with protection via RCD at Correct fuse rate.

But this item has been converted, and at min needs a pat test, and checked by A qualified electrical person to make sure correct parts and cable used and protected.

What do you think about these light holders and best way it should be converted to a light.

You have already picked up on the things that are wrong here. I'm guessing you bought it from overseas, perhaps China  (?).  

Unfortunately it's common for items sourced abroad to fail to meet UK/EU standards. You use it at your own risk and responsibility.

The CE label is clearly meaningless.  Then again you can buy a roll of 500 CE stickers for a couple of £. - It's the supporting paperwork which matters.

If it IS from a UK supplier take it back with the issues you have raised.  It sounds as though the sales pitch was misleading too if you thought you were buying a complete light fitting. That would be another UK trading offence.

I bought from Ebay, using Paypal.

Already opened case to return it but seller shown as in UK but item must be from China.

I have worked in China in exports so the CE there is just a pass not like here where you send to Warrington to be tested first. But seller feels it's fine to sell and to show little info it's not a complete light.

I work as a electrical gas engineer, but can not believe people with little understanding of electrics and testing can convert this and fit safety!!

Did you sign for it?

If not I usually find if something arrives from China via ebay and it's carp, it's usually simpler just to say it did not arrive and get your money back that way.

When I've had duff Ebay buys I've just complained to the supplier and they have simply given me a refund and told me to dispose of the item. They REALLY don't want negative feedback marks. 

Returning stuff, especially abroad, will never be viable with our carriage prices. 

At minute the seller has replied two times, but only to say I need to buy parts to convert it, it's very easy to do and to find parts. 

So just going around in circles so let EBay desided.

I did ask to reply to my questions.

1. If they feel it's ok to tell people with little electrical understanding to add metal parts, wire it and fit it, with no warnings, (seek professional advice)

2. Where I would buy the correct fittings in my area.

3. Has it got Rosh certificate from manufacturer.

4. Why they don't say. (This is only a light holder, no bulb fittings or shade and needs wiring adding to finish.

Be surprised if they answer any of the questions.