Night rate / meters question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions re night rates and how it works. I have a shop made up of what was four properties in a row, call then 1,2,3,4. They have the following :

1 : a single rate meter ( no storage heaters )

2&3 : meters in the same location, think one meter is ‘day’ for both, and the other meter is ‘night’ for both, storage heaters in both shops

4 : a modern meter with night rate, ( storage heaters fitted )

we’re with British Gas, and 1 year into a 3 year contract.

questions : I have an electric car which I’d like to charge on night rate (the night rates that we have are perfectly acceptable, ie the day rate doesn’t appear particularly inflated, it’s about the same as a typical domestic day rate for our area.

first question : shop 1 is next to our car park, so obviously is my preferred location to plug in, it’s also where my charger is currently partly ‘plumbed in’ but this shop has an old meter currently (shortly to be changed) when I spoke to British Gas, they were reluctant to offer any form of E7 tariffs, and just came up with a load of excuses. Do you have any advice re this ?

second question : shop 4 already has E7, but it’s a far less safe parking spot, so it’s not my preferred location. However, it has a brand new dual rate smart meter, and this shop has the storage heaters and night rate. I need to know, does all the electrical circuit in that shop become governed by the E7 tariff ? Or could it be possible that just the storage heaters are wired into the meters to use this ? (I don’t really know how this works).... as I mentioned earlier, the other ‘storage heater shops’ have a separate meter for the night rate

many thanks for reading :)

Connect it to shop 4's meter and run a longer cable so the charger is in your preferred parking spot.  Assuming of course the shops are joined as a terrace so you can do that.

I suppose that would be a possibility. It would have to be about 20 metres and probably run outside, that’s a lot of armoured cable ?

20m is hardly any length at all, if its that close then ProDaves suggestion has got to be the best surely?

Doc H.