Extend Christmas Lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewK

Reaction score
I bought a few sets of Icicle Christmas lights  from Amazon. They're great however much longer than i need for each apex on my house. I end up pulling the lights from apex to apex which looks a bit strange since in between apex's you have these floating icicles dropping down from thin air. 

Anyway, my question is, can i cut the wires between LED's and extend the circuit (with no led's) between apex's? Effectively i'd increase the length of the circuit by joining each LED section by cable. If so, which type of outdoor cable should i use along with connectors and outdoor junction box?

Output on the transformer reads 31V=193mA 6W

Can't post the URL but description is below which should make them easy to find on amazon if interested. 

Vivo© 480 White LED Christmas Icicle Lights with 8 Mode Chaser Function, Remote Control and Hard Plastic Carry Storage Box Indoor Outdoor Xmas Mains Powered with Memory Function - FNF1604

Thanks in advance. 

There is no electrical reason you can't do as you suggest, but it will be difficult to have connections which are physically strong and waterproof.  

Any flexible cable of similar weight to the original would be OK, say speaker flex that is readily available or some lightweight mains flex.  I can't think of a waterproof junction box which would be suitable though; someone else may suggest something.

If I was going to do it I would solder the wire joints and insulate with self vulcanising rubber tape.

I'd solder and use heat shrink. Those LED cables don't normally contain a lot of copper so I'd probably strengthen each joint with a short length of cable to take the strain.

How many conductors are there between the individual LED's? Your description refers to a chaser function, which generally means they are not just parallel connections to each lamp and there can be more than a single pair of conductors making up the arrangement. You will need to be sure you don't cross them over altering the polarity further up the chain.  I am not 100% convinced that you wont have any problems with some of the lights looking dimmer further down the run with longer cables (higher resistances) part way down. It may work, but may be quicker and less time consuming to just buy some smaller sets of lights.

Doc H. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Doc H. I’m not sure is the answer to your question. There’s a twisted pair of wires + a singe wire that links each LED but i can’t answer your questions which is perhaps indicative i should leave it as is. Buying the correct length of cable isn’t really an option as there are several different sizes required. 

I cant help but feel there’s some money to be made in selling Xmas lights in attachable strips so that a) you can replace them if faulty b) you can plan your exact requirements. 

So.…   you have a length of lights that can reach every where you want it to...

But there is a length in the middle where you want no lights..... ?

how about just tape round the unrequired LEDs...

Or are there too many?

Or you may get away with snipping the heads of the surplus LED's...  :C

I'm pretty sure sets of LEDs aren't like the oldie worldie Xmas Tree lights where one dead bulb can kill the whole set.

If you do cut the wires...

I wouldn't worry too much about weather proof boxes..

Its only 31volt so probably get away with a decent wrap of tape around any joints..   without too much danger.

Does this light set have a massive long bit of cable between the PSU and the first light..?

If yes...   could you cut a length off this part to snip and join into the bit you need extending??

Notwithstanding all the above..

It still may be just too much faff and effort...

:popcorn