Electric heater issues

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly24

Reaction score
Hi, I own a flat in Manchester which had new electric radiators installed in 2017 (not bought by me) and they’re a nightmare.

One will not keep the time / date set so I cannot set a timer - the battery has been replaced with no change.

And two others have now stopped heating completely, they keep the date and time, are set correctly but won’t produce any heat at all. They’re not too expensive to replace but I’d prefer not to have to replace 3 if the problem can be fixed. 

They’re Hyco - https://www.hyco.co.uk/products/space-heating/accona

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m freezing! 

Thanks,

Contact the manufacturer. if not still under warranty claim sale of goods act and not fit for purpose.

I blame the EU. You can no longer buy a simple heater with just a switch and a thermostat, you can only buy one with complicated controls to improve eficciency = less reliable.

Stick to the well known makes like Dimplex.

Hi, I own a flat in Manchester which had new electric radiators installed in 2017 (not bought by me) and they’re a nightmare.

Contact the manufacturer. if not still under warranty claim sale of goods act and not fit for purpose.

You may need to go via the company you purchased the heaters from first as your purchase contract is between you and your supplier. But agree with ProDave even if more than 12months old, under the Sales of goods act, and the Supply of goods and services act you would expect these type of products to function correctly for many years, As such from your description they are not "Fit for purpose or of merchantable quality".   You local trading standards may also be able to help if neither the supplier or manufacture bring any positive results. 

Doc H.

Latest posts