Hive installation to Potterton promax ultra boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul miles

Reaction score
Hi,  I’m having trouble wiring a Hive system to my boiler,  I had one installed in my old house and it was a fairly simple process.  

But for what ever reason I am not getting this.  Is there anyone who might offer some assistance.  Can send pics and diagrams if it helps 

So correct If I’m wrong but the hive operates at 230v and has a standard backplate? NL1234. 

So you take a five core cable from boiler to back plate. Brown perm live, blue neutral, black 230v output from boiler, grey 230v switched live return to boiler. 

Connections on back plate. 

Blue N, Brown L, Black 1, Grey 3,  earth parked.  

Connections in boiler. 

Find 230v connection terminals. Three marked LNE and immediately above them there should be two more numbered 1&2 possibly with or without a link installed. 

LNE self explanatory. 

2 is outgoing 230v so connect black. 

1 is incoming signal so connect grey. 

This is assuming that you have removed all. other forms of controls. 

Sorry for late reply.  

That makes perfect sense, however, the current system is connected to a wired thermostat, I’ve disconnected that to do exactly as above.  

Im confused though as the existing system only has a black wire on the incoming signal (1) and nothing on the 230v out (2).  But works when I turn my wired star on.  I’ve disconnected the black wire (1) and wired the 1,2 into the hive receiver and the LNE.  Why does this work ? 

Thanks for your reply.  It appears that the 230vis taken from the fused switch that supplies the boiler.   How do I get around this ? 

Is it as simple as disconnecting that and starting out as you mentioned above ? 

Latest posts