Hardwired plug to normal 3 pin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sihills

Reaction score
Hi guys. 

Thanks in advance for the advise.

I have a electric convector heater in my bedroom which recently broke. Too old to bother fixing. It is/was hardwired to a socket on the wall. 

I have purchased a new one that has a normal 3 pin plug. How do I attach it to the wall. I assume cutting of the plug and hardwiring it would invalidate any warranty on the heater.

So how to I change a hard wired socket to a normal single 3 pin one. Is it just a case of wiring the socket as normal? 

The new heater is the exact same wattage as the previous one so shouldn't be any issues there. 

Any help and advise would be great.

Many thanks.

Simon

Yes fused spur. 

Is there no way to change it to a normal plug socket?

I'm concerned the warranty on the heater will be affected by removing plug

If you feel you are competent its fairly easy to replace the spur with a single socket .   

On here we have to be careful what advice we give, if you're not an electrician,    we could  be sending you off to your doom . 

You need to make the circuit dead before doing anything  , would you be confident doing that ?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Pretty competent. I know how to kill the circuit. Have replaced sockets before.

I'm not installing a new circuit. I would never attempt to do that. The question was how easy is to to change a spur circuit to a standard 3 pin plug. I believe it is RCD protected. I assume anyway. If I kill the RCD on the circuit breaker panel it kills the circuit... I'm posting on a DIY forum. I understand the potential risks with electricity. If you are not willing to help that is fine but a series of not very helpful posts are rather pointless.

believe and assume is not good enough tbh. you  might not be adding a new circuit, but you are altering an existing. same rules apply

Right so you can't offer any advise other than to get an electrician in. Thank you for you help. I know how to make the circuit dead. Let's be honest it doesn't take an electrician to kill the electricity to a circuit now does it?

Well actually, yes it does... Firstly, do you have the proper equipment to test if it is dead?? Secondly you do know that in certain circumstances you can isolate a circuit and then find the neutral is live?? Finally, do you know what the requirements for isolation are??

Thought not..

So, do yourself a favour, and if you ARE going to do it yourself, isolate the entire board, and DO NOT just think you can turn the one breaker off..

john..

Again. Yes I can check whether the circuit is dead. I do know how to isolate the circuit and yes I did know that even once isolated stuff may still be live. Again I am not stupid enough to just go grabbing wires.

Lots of people on here seem to be assuming that everyone that wants to do some simple electrical work is either an idiot it has a death wish. Again constructive advice on how to do it is what I was looking for. If it is simple and I can do it safely myself then I would do it. If it is not then I would obviously get an electrician in. Again thank you for the advise once again. 

If you have a fused spur on the socket circuit then to change this to a single socket is straightforward.

I would reiterate the safety aspects of ensuring the power is off prior to starting work.

Make sure the spur is  high enough from the floor to be able to plug in.

The wiring would be matching the supply terminals, L,N,E to the L,N,E terminals on the socket. Similar to changing a socket over but the terminals may be in very different places and often are too short to reach.

I have both a multimeter and a non contact Voltage tester. Thank you Ardet, much appreciated 

I have both a multimeter and a non contact Voltage tester. Thank you Ardet, much appreciated 

NICE!!! and neither are suitable for checking if something is dead... For gods sake do not use the non contact thing for checking dead... If you have nothing else, use one of them "neon" screw driver things that light up when you stick them on something live..

Just out of interest, explain to us the procedure for checking if something is dead... [Since you think anyone can be an electrician]

Still fair play to you for coming on here and asking and not just having a guess..

john..

NICE!!! and neither are suitable for checking if something is dead... For gods sake do not use the non contact thing for checking dead... If you have nothing else, use one of them "neon" screw driver things that light up when you stick them on something live..

well it is better than the table lamp or kettle i was expecting...

Why is a multimeter not suitable for checking whether a circuit is dead? Please explain. Again what a lovely bunch you two are. Condescending remarks seem all you can do. And at no point have I said any one can be an electrician but go for it make quotes up if it makes you feel more like a man. What a terrible forum. A simple question cannot be answered without ridicule. Thankfully I know not all electricians are like you two!

A multimeter is not the preferred test instrument as the wrong range or function could be selected.

The way round that is by proving the meter against a known voltage source, test the item you are working on to prove it dead, then retest your meter against the known voltage source.

The known voltage source a sparky would use is a source about the size of a cigarette packet that is low current and so a safe source with no shock risk. Your problem would be safely checking your meter against said voltage source.

The forum is a helpful forum please don't get down on us we are only trying to watch out for your safety, we do have to be careful with the advice we give out to stop people doing silly things and hopefully guide them to do the job properly, if they are going to do it.

Hope this helps.

Great post. And I completely understand that. And you have put the point across without being completely condescending like a few other people on this thread. 

Anyway. Have changed the socket over and have had a qualified electrician round to confirm all is good. Thanks to the few people who have been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.