No isolator switch on electric shower.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmoore

Reaction score
Hi

Is it a requirement to have an Isolator switch for an electric shower.? Because in my flat there isn't one, it's just on its own 32A MCB protected by an RCB

thanks 

Warrick.

Yes it comes under "Local isolation "   for maintenance , cleaning etc .   

The MCB in the board is not good enough ,  say the board isn't marked up ,   it would be a mystery to an untrained person .  

Manufacturers instructions may require a switch of a specific contact gap etc, & may also require the unit is isolated from the supply when not in use.

Hi

Is it a requirement to have an Isolator switch for an electric shower.? Because in my flat there isn't one, it's just on its own 32A MCB protected by an RCB

thanks 

Warrick.

There is no wiring regulation, but 99.9% of manufactures do ask for one to be fitted. What make of Shower is it?  Go to their website and have a look at a copy of the manufactures installation instructions. e.g. a common item 'Mira Sport' specifically states that the unit MUST be installed with a means of local isolation.  From this PDF  http://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/mira/pdf/1175283-w2-d-mira-sport-installation-and-user-guide.pdf  The following quote, which I don't consider to be very ambiguous at all?

This shower must be provided with means for local disconnection that is incorporated into the fixed wiring in accordance with the relevant local wiring regulations. This must be a double pole switch, which has at least 3 mm contact separation in each pole. The switch can be a ceiling mounted pull-cord type within the shower room or a wall mounted switch fitted in the applicable zone area.

I personally do not know of any shower instructions that do not state a very similar set of instructions. I think most Triton showers also state the unit should be switched off when not in use.

Doc H.

I don't think I'd feel very comfortable fitting any electric shower without an isolator, regardless of whether it was a manufacturers requirement or not.I had a shower go faulty last year, I'd only fitted it a few days earlier and the elderly lady had just  turned it off on the shower when it began to make a strange noise, fortunately, she had exited the shower when it decided to eject boiling water, followed by a cloud of steam. She turned off the pullcord and it stopped, I rang Triton and they sent one of their engineers out, apparently, it was a  known fault on a number of these showers.

Another thing I seem to remember from a while back was when someone was electrocuted in a shower that had no local isolation, the coroner noted that, although it was not certain that the death could have been prevented, it may have been avoided had local isolation been provided. Now I know that most of us would probably agree that, if a shower, not protected by  an RCD, and there are still a number of these in use, were to develop such a fault, it is highly unlikely that anyone using it would survive, it's not the sort of thing that I would like to have to live with, would you?