Plug museum

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a couple of those .  As an apprentii   I worked on a tower block style Halls of Residence  for B,ham University  .  Two things of mild interest  , they had  fitted  the No. 24  socket  in the museum ,  fitted in the communal Areas  so the students couldn't plug into them .   Britmac . 

The other was Barclays Bank who used one with the live at 45 deg.  for their computer only systems  together with a locked board .

I've used a couple of those .  As an apprentii   I worked on a tower block style Halls of Residence  for B,ham University  .  Two things of mild interest  , they had  fitted  the No. 24  socket  in the museum ,  fitted in the communal Areas  so the students couldn't plug into them .   Britmac . 

The other was Barclays Bank who used one with the live at 45 deg.  for their computer only systems  together with a locked board .
We used a lot of the MK T bar earth on one site. Itbwas formthe computers which in those days needed power 24/7!AND a clean earth....proper clean earth. Didn't stop us having a couple of converters from T bar earth to normal fly lead socket ( obviously a just in case item for emergencies only, you understand)

I remember years ago as a young lad, I was an apprentice and although my power tools were quite expensive, they were 240v and this led to one or two problems. Back in the day power tools were expensive and not readily available in the way they are today, most homeowners had a Black and Decker drill, but that was about it, and most of them didn't have hammer action. Having things like saws and grinders was virtually unheard of, and as for a Hilti, which was the only sds at the time, well, hardly anyone had one, but I did!

I got so fed up of people wanting to borrow stuff that I brought a load of plugs home from work, they were 3 pin metal things made by Niphan , I fitted them to everything, and had extension leads to match, then a couple of fly-leads to connect to a 13A plug, it solved the problem, "can I borrow your grinder mate?" they'd ask, then give you a funny look when they saw the plug, it saved having to turn round and just refuse to lend them the tool, "of course you can borrow it, if the plug fits your sockets" 

I have a trailer with a pin hitch.  Several people have asked to borrow it, but nobody seems to have a pin hitch on their car so unfortunately can't tow it.

For years i have had a ball hitch I mean to use to convert it, but I just never seem to get around to it........

My mate needed a new trailer and I was able to get enough 'scrap' materials from work to build one, being handy with a welder, it wasn't a problem. He's never done anything like this so it was a good project to help him learn too, it only took a couple of weekends and when it was finished it looked just like one of those Ifor Williams ones. It looked great and it towed great, then one day when I happened to be at home I noticed a strange car pull up outside his house and the guy was trying to remove the trailer, fortunately it was chained up! I went over and asked him what he thought he was doing and he replied that Dave, my mate, was his brother, and he'd come to borrow the trailer, a likely story! Well, I knew all the regular visitors to Daves, and this chap wasn't one of them, so I rang Dave at work and described the guy and also gave him the car details and the blokes name."yes, that's one of my brothers" replied Dave, "do us a favour and tell him to sod off, he's not been near for 2 years and thinks he's borrowing the trailer, no way"

Latest posts