Idiot Councillors ...again !!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest harebrained scheme is to start shutting down the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter .  Biggest jewellery manufacturing area outside London  employing hundred & hundreds of jewellers from one man ring makers , stone setters  etc  to H. Samuel .    Been there for hundreds of years with it's own assay office  .  Anchor means its made in Brum. 

What shall we do this year ?  I know  lets demolish the flyover on one of the busiest arterial routes  because it will look untidy when the Commonwealth Games come.  

Erm  ...Oooh yes  must create a pollution free zone  & ban all these diesel engines .

And to finish off the year , sell off half the Jewellery Quarter for appartments 

All cut & dried , no consultation , get them out , sell the properties for apartments .  

Museum-of-the-Jewellery-Quarter.jpg

Museum-of-the-Jewellery-Quarter-2.jpg

JS96086292.jpg

birmingham-museum-flickr-bob-hall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate such council short sightedness, really annoys me seeing industry big and small shutting down, I think it is that fact that people who actually make things are such a dying breed,so sad.

On another note our council has spent lhe last couple of years allegedly trying to encourage shops and shoppers back to the high street town centre, so imagine my surprise when I went to the council booking office in the high street to get tickets for a band that was going to be playing in the town hall only to find the council had closed their wee booking office, idiots!!!!

I think it is fair to say that anyone in anyway connected to politics or council have absolutely no idea of what they say or do. 

Perhaps we should charge them a a tax to speak, they might be more cautious 

Bulldoze the lot I say, who needs it?  It's far more important to destroy heritage and to present a false image to a few visitors to the games!

back in the 70s I was at University of Salford 

Phil the Greek,was the Chancellor and he was coming on a visit 

along one side the Uni is the river Irwell........a bit manky so they tried to  dye the water blue and it killed all the fish....and water turned orange

on the other side was a scrap yard....so council  built a massive concrete wall to disguise it from his view, lest it offended him

not certain BUT I think the visit was cancelled 

thought it was a rewuirement of being a councillor / MP etc that you are good at making stupid decisions and only thinking about yourself and any backhanders you get? (bit like IET)

Phil the Greek,was the Chancellor and he was coming on a visit 
Actually I think he would have seen through most efforts at deception. I believe he was quite down to earth and had a mischevious sense of humour when out on his own.

He visited the English Electric (pre BAe, etc) factory in Preston  His guided route had been planned, cleaned, painted and polished, and all the junk which normally adorned the production shop floor had been hidden away, much of it in the adjacent apprentice training workshop.

Come the tour, Philip looks around, spots a sign to Training School and asks, "What's down there?"    -----    "Oh, good, let's have a look at that then ;;;;;;;;;"

Who knows Andy ?  

They will be charging polluting vehicles to enter the Inner City , which is anything before about 4 yrs old I think ... buses exempt  and all the taxis will be given new engines ...basically by me  & a couple of other ratepayers.      How does charging  them prevent pollution ?   

So , money making scheme .  

They own all these Jewellery Quarter buildings  and are selling them off to private enterprise , so the rental goes  but a killing will be made  by someone when the redevelopment starts.   

Flyover is where I went to school  ( I grew up  in black & white )  school is the building with the large gables .  

Traffic was bad even then , yet I cycled through it unscathed .  Perry Barr 1960.jpgAAze4iz.jpg

Then all swept away and theres the offending flyover  which carries about 1 million cars a minute  today . 22853058_369803620126075_2181759039441714826_n.jpg  

How right you are  Doc ,   put your finger right on the button .     

That city High Street where I grew up as a kid,   roamed the area in safety , walked to infant & Junior school  and cycled through that traffic  to secondary school ...met my mates as a teenager .chatted up the girls in the coffee bars  ,  then later in the pub  ..........is now a place where,  how do I phrase it ?...  I  would be an ethnic minority .   

Its now a litter blown  dump , a shytte hole ,  I zoom through on the fly overs & underpasses  heading for the city centre but if we are on the original top road...the locks go down on the car or van & I always leave  a big gap  when the traffic backs up to avoid being  boxed in  .

I left school when Elvis  was demobbed from the US Army,  the Beatles had their first hit   and by the time  Bobby Moore was raising the World Cup at Wembly   the place was rapidly declining into Dumpsville  as the government seemed intent on flooding the place with our cousins from northern India  & the Caribbean  . 

The bottom B&W  picture  is like this now .     

My old secondary school became that square block  on the right ,  The University of Central England  ...now  abandoned  as they moved it & renamed it  Birmingham City University  ...not to be confused with the much respected Birmingham University .  ( One of them is a Polytech  & the other isn't) 

Another waste of money . 

perrybarr.jpg

Just to bore everyone further  ,  theres the pub we started drinking in  , The Saddler's Arms ..  many local groups playing there on a Friday night.  

The Saddler's Arms.jpg

How right you are  Doc ,   put your finger right on the button .     

That city High Street where I grew up as a kid,   roamed the area in safety , walked to infant & Junior school  and cycled through that traffic  to secondary school ...met my mates as a teenager .chatted up the girls in the coffee bars  ,  then later in the pub  ..........is now a place where,  how do I phrase it ?...  I  would be an ethnic minority .   

Its now a litter blown  dump , a shytte hole ,  I zoom through on the fly overs & underpasses  heading for the city centre but if we are on the original top road...the locks go down on the car or van & I always leave  a big gap  when the traffic backs up to avoid being  boxed in  .

I left school when Elvis  was demobbed from the US Army,  the Beatles had their first hit   and by the time  Bobby Moore was raising the World Cup at Wembly   the place was rapidly declining into Dumpsville  as the government seemed intent on flooding the place with our cousins from northern India  & the Caribbean  . 

The bottom B&W  picture  is like this now .     

My old secondary school became that square block  on the right ,  The University of Central England  ...now  abandoned  as they moved it & renamed it  Birmingham City University  ...not to be confused with the much respected Birmingham University .  ( One of them is a Polytech  & the other isn't) 

Another waste of money . 

View attachment 9768

Just to bore everyone further  ,  theres the pub we started drinking in  , The Saddler's Arms ..  many local groups playing there on a Friday night.  

View attachment 9769

My daughter is studying there...... however when I've been to drop her off and pick her up it looks nothing like that..... Then again she does live in Selly Oak (not very far from the S'oak).... and where she's going to be living next year ..................................................

Hi  Noz,      If daughter is staying in Selly Oak  then as you say,  that would be the "proper"   Birmingham  University  , in Edgbaston , by the QE  .  Selly Oak is Student City .

I hope she's enjoying her time there . 

Birmingham University is top photo ....in Edgbaston  on Bristol Road.           Birmingham CITY  University  is bottom photo ....moved from Perry Barr to the Aston University campus with the confusing name change. 

AstonWebb2.JPG

Birmingham-p48.jpg

Hi  Noz,      If daughter is staying in Selly Oak  then as you say,  that would be the "proper"   Birmingham  University  , in Edgbaston , by the QE  .  Selly Oak is Student City .

I hope she's enjoying her time there . 

Birmingham University is top photo ....in Edgbaston  on Bristol Road.           Birmingham CITY  University  is bottom photo ....moved from Perry Barr to the Aston University campus with the confusing name change. 

View attachment 9770

Yes,,, thats the one,,,, not the best photo mind ;)... "Old Joe" is apparently the tallest free standing clock tower in the country.....

I keep on getting told off for calling it "Birmingham University"..... apparently its "The University of Birmingham".....I'll probably never get it quite right as it annoys her so much ;)

She's a first year at the moment,,,, then she'll be a first year again next year as she's changing courses from "English" to "Law with Criminology"... Living on Dale Road in halls at the moment and next year over the other side of Bristol Road 

I was about to add that next year  she may be staying  in Ridge Hall  or High Hall  ( Later Eden House)   Wired by yours truly  ( and a few others )  in one of the few  TNC  (Combined Earth/ Neutral throughout the system jobbies   using  1 core concentric Pyro .   ( Very strange ...Home office permission was required apparently )   

I was there for a year as an apprentice .

However as seen in the photos , she certainly won't be staying there. 

I don't know ...you work your guts out ,   running up & down the tower block stairs,   installing miles of Pyro  ....then 50 years later  they pull it all down . 

7254694652_819ba5fd17_b.jpg

12561685434_694dda0be1_b.jpg

Can't figure out where that is/was...... guessing what they call the Vale?

Halls tend to be only for 1st years or Post Grads...... she's got a house down Tiverton Road next year with 4 of her friends, quite happy with the house, but it's an extra 20 mins walk to the campus... LOL

It was on Edgbaston Park Road  Noz  by a pool  ... all gone  & replaced by the look of it .   Spent nearly a year there  then the next 9 months  round the corner on the Nuffield Private Hospital  in Somerset Rd  .   

Tiverton Rd you say ,  yes  all that area  has loads of Student lets ,  I'm sure she'll have a good time .  

Spent last month passing through there  to the Orthopaedic Hospital a bit further up .    

Nothing to do with councils more the EU emissions regulations. ½ of the places I’ve worked at are now levelled to the ground. The work transferred to other EU countries that don’t give a flying **** about EU regulations.

Latest posts