Cold weather and arc flash:

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You try working in a chemical hydration plant. Everything is dripping with water, condensation is part of life.

Never had a DVM fail but a Drummond test lamp did, it led to them being withdrawn throughout the company.

I must admit, I don't leave any test gear in the truck in winter, it isn't good for the kit, plus as we've seen it can be dangerous due to condensation. I have heard of MFT's either giving incorrect readings, or actually being damaged by being brought out of a cold van in the depths of winter and being asked to do a loop test right away. I put mine in on leaving home, then take it straight out at the job, even if it's a couple of hours before I need it, at least it's at room temperature.

The NIC man on recent visit commented  when I said the testers  ( I have separates)   are never left in the van ...mainly in case of theft.      He said they'd had a few instances of condensation in the meters. 

I've found condensation of tools & mains tester before now .