Outside pir lantern light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Godfrey

Reaction score
I have brought a pir lantern light from Wickes I have come of a three switch one for up stairs light one for down stairs hall and one to go out for the lantern, I have wired the lantern up and I have power from it and to it.  But I can’t get it to turn on I’ve checked 3 bulbs and I have turned the sensors up and down as it says but it still does not come on at all help anyone. 

Welcome

so where have you got the neutral from for the light ?

do all original lights still work ?

do all original switches work correctly?

was there a 3 gang switch there originally?

if so....what did it work AND did it work correctly?

you really need to post a pic of what you had , what you did, and what you now have!

or post a link to a drawing or pic as you hammer not provided enough info,at the moment

chances are there's no neutral at the switch and youve wired it wrong

if it doesn't work then take it back to,wickes, throw it through their biggest window ( using a brick or two for extra ballast )
at least he didnt get it from B&Q

I have brought a pir lantern light from Wickes I have come of a three switch one for up stairs light one for down stairs hall and one to go out for the lantern, I have wired the lantern up and I have power from it and to it.  But I can’t get it to turn on I’ve checked 3 bulbs and I have turned the sensors up and down as it says but it still does not come on at all help anyone. 

Lighting has to have a permanent neutral and a switched live at the lamp. And a permanent live and a switched live at the switch. Depending upon how it is wired there may also be a permanent neutral looped at the switch and/or a permanent live looped at the lamp, but neither of the latter are essential. More often than not the type of hall & landing switch wiring you describe would have no neutral connection at the switch, Just the lives in & Out. However also from past experience, a lot of these combined lamp with built in PIR sensors fittings from the likes of B&Q Wickes Homebase or Aldi & Lidl can be just a box of unreliable junk. I would always fit independent lamps and stand-alone PIR sensors out of preference. So you could also have a rubbish light fitting anyway. If you have the adjustments set to daylight (the small image of the sun) and the time duration set to shortest and it has power correctly connected, then it should just switch on and off within a few seconds to allow testing of the PIR. What test equipment do you have to verify if the connections and voltage are correct at the terminals? A neon screwdriver or non-contact tester will not verify if you have a missing neutral.  

Doc H.

So....

its three wires, L, N and E.  

and you've tried multiple bulbs.. Lamps...

If you have proved the power is correct..

Its faulty!...  

so take it back get a refund or replacement surely?

:C

OR....

this most basic of electrical tasks is too complex for you..

So call a competent person who can install & test it correctly.

:popcorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep....I was about to put that and then we had visitors. A Mr Merlot, Mr Shiraz and the twins Rhubarb and Ginger Gin

so, yeah........most likely assumed the two wires in the connector ( if there is one )  are neutrals but are in fact the switch wire being carried to the light OR worse still ...they are TWO feeds off TWO different circuits

unfortunately my visitors have not helped any

B&Q have an exemplary Customer services and warranty department

nothing is better!

SERIOUSLY.     NOTHING would be better than their be-pinnied bunch of wazzocks calling everyone Mate

💩Of the highest order
I went in there a couple of months ago, one of them was advising a bloke how to connect a new gas fire, no mention of gas regs, or ACOPS, or even of the need to test, he went all funny when I asked to see the manager.

I love watching them advise a customer on buying a power drill, they always recommend the most expensive one,  I then ask said customer what he's doing, "only need one to put a couple of shelves  up mate, probably use it twice a year" is the usual reply, then I point out a basic hammer drill for about £20, "that's good enough for you mate" I reply, helpfully, then watch as their 'expert' walks off in a sulk! even better when you point out that the chrome sockets, he wants at £30 each can be had for only £15 at Toolstation, and they're the same make. Try it, it's hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in there a couple of months ago, one of them was advising a bloke how to connect a new gas fire, no mention of gas regs, or ACOPS, or even of the need to test, he went all funny when I asked to see the manager.

I love watching them advise a customer on buying a power drill, they always recommend the most expensive one,  I then ask said customer what he's doing, "only need one to put a couple of shelves  up mate, probably use it twice a year" is the usual reply, then I point out a basic hammer drill for about £20, "that's good enough for you mate" I reply, helpfully, then watch as their 'expert' walks off in a sulk! even better when you point out that the chrome sockets, he wants at £30 each can be had for only £15 at Toolstation, and they're the same make. Try it, it's hilarious.

ive got better things to do with my time that go to DIY sheds to give free advice to their customers