EU Demands cash to leave !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appears to be led by France ,  we are told to pay how much  millions of £££s ?   to the EU  or what ?  They won't let us go ?  

Looking back to a time when France was under the jackboot of Nazi Germany  ...the British Army had been pushed into the sea at Dunkirk ..and two years of war had bankrupted this country .    So we borrowed something like   $120 billion  from the US  to help us re -arm & return to France via the Normandy Beaches  with Canada & the US .

Did they ever help us to pay this back over the next 50 odd years ?    As far as I know , no they did not .    General De Gaul eventually became President  and he vetoed all our efforts to join .

Perhaps its time  they started to pay US back  not bloody well fining us  .      And while they're thinking about it ....perhaps they might go to see the  grave's of the British soldiers    who never returned from France after D. Day .       They died for your liberty  you ungrateful  monsieurs !!! 

To the French I say ..UP YOURS   MON AIME  !!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it just shows how desperate they are to keep us, or should I say our money. 

I say just shoot them all up the arSe and walk away with no deal, it will not be long before they come begging. 

Appears to be led by France ,  we are told to pay how much  millions of £££s ?   to the EU  or what ?  They won't let us go ?  

To the French I say ..UP YOURS   MON AIME  !!! 

Is 100% because the French need somebody to fund the CAP - the French benefit most from the CAP and that's how France is still covered by small inefficient farms ......

I knew there was a reason the French despise us, now I know. It’s because they are upset that we are a fraction of the land mass yet have far more wealth than they’ll ever have. 

Oh well, Jealousy is the green eyed monster! 

I knew there was a reason the French despise us, now I know. It’s because they are upset that we are a fraction of the land mass yet have far more wealth than they’ll ever have. 

Not sure I agree with that .......... they are still upset that the UK abandoned them in 1940 ................ they thought with our 300K of men we could have fought the Germans back across the Rhine ........... which obviously anyone with any sense knew was impossible, so getting as many men home was THE ONLY option.

I think we are perhaps forgetting how much damage we did to France in the cuase of liberating it, and to be frank we were fighting for our own empire, and not especially for France or the rest of Europe. One of the most depressing events of WW2 was when the Vichy government refused to allow their Navy to join the Allied side, so we sank the French fleet in a harbour in North Africa - a great loss to us and the French.

Let me see, who has the better life style, lives longer and actually own their own country? I don' think the French despise us,  more our own political elite despised the French revolution. Why did Napoleon attack the rest of Europe? Becuase they royal families of us, Germany, Austria, Italy etc etc were setting out to destroy the French revolution, so he attacked first - don't tell you that bit in your history 'O' level. 

Well it just shows how desperate they are to keep us, or should I say our money. 

I say just shoot them all up the arSe and walk away with no deal, it will not be long before they come begging. 

THe EU project doesn't want us to leave full stop, not just because of the money. As for begging, we represent about 8% of the EU market (might be slightly out on that figure) where as the EU represents about 44% or all our exports - who need who? What is most worrying is our overall trade deficit, we import more than we export, ie we are buying more than we sell to the tune of around £10 billion per month. Ever wondered why we are skint? I'm just hoping Brexit means we can turn that around pronto, coz we are firked! 

Well Binks I’m overwhelmed by your positivity in our own country. All we need is a revolution whereby the true people take back control of this country not all the fake that want you too believe what’s right. 

I have often wondered about all this, especially as we do a lot of trade outside of Europe, it was allegedly stated by the EU that if we didn't play it their way then they'd not allow us to trade with non- EU  countries for X number of years! Exactly how do they propose to do that I wonder?

One of the biggest problems I see at the moment is the stupidity of the younger generation, they are too young to remember life before the EU, and think we'll be finished if we leave, once upon a time WE supplied a lot of stuff to countries all around the world, indeed the town I live in built trains that even went to India.

We can be great again, I'm not saying it's going to be easy and I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but we can do it. The trouble is, from what I've heard, a lot of the younger generation are scared of not being able to travel, well I'm very sorry but if the most important thing in your life is being able to spend 2 weeks a year in shagamuff, getting off your face on cheap booze and having rampant sex with as many unknown people as possible, then you need to grow up and think of the more important things in life. 

Well Binks I’m overwhelmed by your positivity in our own country. All we need is a revolution whereby the true people take back control of this country not all the fake that want you too believe what’s right. 

I am merely pointing out some real facts! I'm fed up with BS from both sides, but especially the attitude that somehow we are still really important in the world and have a huge empire - those days are long gone.

I am also fed up with watching this country 'positively' decline for decades, for which the EU seems to get a lot of the blame (is scapegoated?) when the reality is our own governments and business leaders have firked us over.

I agree to some extent with that when you say that our governments have contributed, absolutely. I also agree that we’ve lost our own self fight spirit and bring in the EU only fuels this as we have a prop to hold us up - in their opinions. However I am in agreement with Phil on this, the sooner we detach ourselves from the EU the sooner we can start to rebuild OUR country, sadly though it will take another world war before the younger generations realise they are capable of standing on their own two feet and fighting for their own. That will take some serious attitude change throughout which doesn’t happen overnight. 

Do we really need the EU, of course it is beneficial to trade with them but they are not the largest part of the world. We are capable of producing goods we just have to forget the greed aspect when it cones to money then we might be able to compete within the world. We have been sold a lie that the more money we have the greater we are for too many years, it’s time too come back too reality- money is meaningless. 

Fortunately we never joined the Euro., which has allowed Sterling to devalue and revive manufacturing a bit.  Not sure we have lost out self-fight spirit, but we certainly seem to have lost pride in our own capabilities, especially engineering. Governments for decades seemed to think banking and financial services is the only way forward.....great for a very small part of the population.

I voted for leave, but it has to be orderly, in my opinion or we risk 'cutting our own noses off!' Long term, we may be better off out of the EU as it will allow faster response to changing markets, but whilst the EU may not form the biggest section of the world, it does represent the wealthiest trading block except perhaps the USA. We also have many jobs based here becuase we are part of the EU, eg Honda and Nissan who are major employers and who I suspect will pack up and leave if we don't have hassle free trading with the EU. 

I asked my son about how he regards himself ' citizen of the world' was the repsonse - t'internet has brought young people of all nationalities to together who subsequently have a very different view of the world. 

As for money, I've always like the Quaker traditon (likes of Cadbury and Terry's of York) - work hard, earn money, and use it for good causes. I'm hoping house prices will plummit after Brexit - but man will that hurt a lot of people who have rediculous mortgages. I'm actually quite pleased shopping is dying slowly, why have we had an economy based on buying ****e we don't need - it's bad for the planet and our balance of payments. Lots of people are employed in shops though! Whatever happens, I totally agree greed is bad and pointless, but I fear the poor / ordinary people will suffer most from Brexit, not the hard right winkers like Rees Mog (who has moved his own company to Ireland).

Fortunately we never joined the Euro., which has allowed Sterling to devalue and revive manufacturing a bit.  Not sure we have lost out self-fight spirit, but we certainly seem to have lost pride in our own capabilities, especially engineering. Governments for decades seemed to think banking and financial services is the only way forward.....great for a very small part of the population.

Something we should ALL be very grateful for.

The Euro is the key to the issues in the EU .............. diverse countries sharing a currency, with no "sharing" of resources - so the Germans, who are the main benefactors of the Euro, not having to share out their trade surpluses with the weaker countries.

If Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece (among others) still had their own currencies, they would have recovered  a long time ago ..............

There are rumours that the EU countries not using the Euro, have an expiry to this, meaning all countries would be forced to have the Euro............. but if this is true is unknown.

1 currency, 27 different tax regimes - just doesn't work. It's a bit like the London centered economy of the UK versus the needs of the far flung corners of Scotland or Cornwall - not compatible.

Don't know about forcing countries into the Euro - I doubt it would happen unless the said countries can see an economic benefit, and after Greece etc etc being allowed to join when their fiscal policies were not upto the bench mark set by the EU itself resulting in the Euro's near collapse, ( the joy of politics over-ruling over fiscal sense) I can't see the EU wanting any more Euro members unless their economy is good enough. Sounds like anti-EU bullsite to me! 

Last edited by a moderator:
1 currency, 27 different tax regimes - just doesn't work. It's a bit like the London centered economy of the UK versus the needs of the far flung corners of Scotland or Cornwall - not compatible.

Don't know about forcing countries into the Euro - I doubt it would happen unless the said countries can see an economic benefit, and after Greece etc etc being allowed to join when their fiscal policies were not upto the bench mark set by the EU itself resulting in the Euro's near collapse, ( the joy of politics over-ruling over fiscal sense) I can't see the EU wanting any more Euro members unless their economy is good enough. Sounds like anti-EU bullsite to me! 

Wrong analogy - taxes from London ARE propping up many parts of the UK 

As for the Euro - ALL new EU entrants for a long time HAVE had to join the Euro .. - and this is not bullsite. 

Wrong analogy - taxes from London ARE propping up many parts of the UK 
in Theory, strong economies like Germany, France, Holland and the UK prop up weaker EU economies such as Poland by allowing free movement of people, but you are taking the comment out of context, what I was trying to get at is that a one-size fits all approach doesn't work.

As for the SE propping up the rest of the UK,  that's a long argument!  It seems we can afford billions to dig tunnels across London, but can't afford 20 million for sea defences at Dawlish, and it seems it takes hundreds of £ more per head to educate and police  Londoners than the South West.  The way government works is a self fulfilling prophecy, it spends far more money on the needs of the capitol thereby starving the rest of the UK of investment....

in Theory, strong economies like Germany, France, Holland and the UK prop up weaker EU economies such as Poland by allowing free movement of people, but you are taking the comment out of context, what I was trying to get at is that a one-size fits all approach doesn't work.

110% agree .................. but Brussels will never agree with that ............ and until they do agree, and do something to change, the EU and Euro Zone are fatally flawed .............