Henley Blocks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK Electrical

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some clarification here. A common way of segregating garage consumer units from the house consumer unit, is to split the supply at the intake. Thus avoiding tripping the house out should the garage consumer trip. Feeding the supply in to a 100A Henley block and then feed new 25mm tails in to the house consumer unit and then run a separate feed from the Henley block to the garage unit, again 25mm tails or SWA cable. Someone has told me that we are now no longer allowed use Henley blocks to do this. Is this correct? If so, then I guess the only way to avoid unwanted tripping is to redesign the consumer unit in the house so that the breaker feeding the garage unit is not protected by the RCD, but this seems a bit of fag to me. Can anyone clarify on this please?

Many thanks,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I always  use Lucy MLNS blocks and have enough in stock until well after I retire
You're not allowed to use Lucy's  , they're against the law .     Thats the sort of thing I've  heard said . 

Or as some spark said to me once .... "you've done  two right angles AND a double set in that conduit ...thats against the law "     :C     My first introduction to the  Electric Police.  

Hi all, looking for some clarification here. A common way of segregating garage consumer units from the house consumer unit, is to split the supply at the intake. Thus avoiding tripping the house out should the garage consumer trip. Feeding the supply in to a 100A Henley block and then feed new 25mm tails in to the house consumer unit and then run a separate feed from the Henley block to the garage unit, again 25mm tails or SWA cable. Someone has told me that we are now no longer allowed use Henley blocks to do this. Is this correct? If so, then I guess the only way to avoid unwanted tripping is to redesign the consumer unit in the house so that the breaker feeding the garage unit is not protected by the RCD, but this seems a bit of fag to me. Can anyone clarify on this please?

Many thanks,
Chris

Utter garbage ................ BUT you do need an OCPD for the sub main .......... there are many ways to achieve this ..............

Tails from Henleys to switched fuse then SWA glanded off ensuring the enclosure is earthed sufficiently to comply with adiabatic.

Simplest way is a switch fuse in a metal enclosure.  Tails from Henley blocks into switch fuse. SWA to garage glanded out of the metal enclosure of the switch fuse.

EDIT: Sidney just beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone, many thanks for the responses, that puts my mind at rest. I always put the Henley block in an enclosure as suggested and I use the Lucy blocks for earth connection. Once again many thanks.

Kind regards,

Chris

Latest posts