I almost had a heart attack when I saw this

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m guessing our SBS Dave has had trouble with these things and pricing hence why we haven’t heard much from him lately?? 

Do you think the scams will assist here and arrange a subsidised price for recognised sparks?? 

Last edited by a moderator:
So three bed domestic would be £1200 - £1500 plus labour...

That'll be dodgy Dave down the pub keeping busy until Screwfix run out of split load boards...

An 8 way board  would be about £1,700.00   ,     + labour   ,Yeah thats gonna happen .   Can't see it being welcomed in the commercial sector either .  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing our SBS Dave has had trouble with these things and pricing hence why we haven’t heard much from him lately?? 

Do you think the scams will assist here and arrange a subsidised price for recognised sparks?? 

Ive just bought a CU off him with 6 compact RCBO's, a SPD and MCB (for the SPD)...... he's been extremely busy and selling out of stock AFAIA

Even the yanks don't like AFDD's, I think until we all just refuse to get on board with all this garbage they keep dreaming up it will only get worse! If you do a bit of digging it becomes quite interesting exactly who is behind the IEE, and when you understand this you then begin to understand why we keep getting stupid things forced upon us.

Lets be honest,if you are a person high up within a company, and also a high up member of the IEE, then it's going to be relatively easy to persuade everyone to promote the use of your product, after all, you'd do the same for them, and so it goes on, each time someone comes up with a pointless and un-necessary thing, it gets written into the regs.

It's about time the powers that be concentrated on things that matter, not the stupid stuff.

I watched one of those DIY programmes the other day, "make sure you get a professional electrician to carry out any electrical work" cautioned the presenter, oh yeah, they got a pro alright. They knocked through a downstairs pantry into the adjoining small 'cupboard' which contained a toilet, by increasing the space they added a small wash handbasin, there was no radiator or anything else, the lightswitch was outside the room and on the ceiling was a batten lampholder. They showed the work progressing and the basin was fed by plastic pipes for the hot and cold feeds, these went to short pieces of copper which came out of the stud wall and onto the taps, the joint being in the wall. Also emerging from the stud wall was a piece of 6mm G/Y singles that apparently went back to the board, this was connected to a clamp on each piece of copper, why? Since the only copper was a short length from the tap to the  plastic pipe, why would you bother adding an earth, it's hardly likely to introduce a potential, is it? It's the same with a lot of house refurbs, a relative of mine got a council house it had just had a full refurb, plastic water main coming into the building, and also a plastic gas main, yet there was a nice length of 10mm G/Y going back to the board.

JPEL/64 is the committee which makes all the decisions for the changes to BS 7671 ..... dig deep enough and you find that members of manufacturers are present on sub committees ..... 

its all a stitch up to create revenue and profits 

JPEL/64 is the committee which makes all the decisions for the changes to BS 7671 ..... dig deep enough and you find that members of manufacturers are present on sub committees ..... 

its all a stitch up to create revenue and profits 
TBH Murdoch, you don’t need to dig that deep.

There are manufacturers representatives on JPEL64 as well as the sub-committees.

Mind, when you do dig into JPEL64 Certsure are the dominant party, followed by the manufacturers.

The sub-committees vary a little as some have organisations on them rather than individuals, some are consultants, yes, some are representatives of manufacturers, others from trade groups, so called industry “experts” etc.

Was it someone on here who tried (and failed) via the Freedom Of Information Act to find the names of the JPEL/64 committee  members? Got knocked back for some reason.