request for help / electronics repair (Lancashire area)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Reaction score
I apologise for being a bit cheeky, I guess I'm only doing this because you guys have been so helpful with my endless stupid questions over the last couple of years :)

I wondered who has an interest in small electronics and wouldn't mind having a look at something which hopefully is an easy-is fix

I've acquired an electric car charger which whilst it worked initially has developed a fault, it flashes a code which apparently indicates an earth problem, and it refuses to work

this particular kind of charger is a small mobile one, plugs into a standard 13 amp socket, and they're know to sometimes become faulty.

I just thought I'd throw this out there, I have a working example (of a different make now) but it would be super handy to have a second unit.

They're quite a pricey piece of kit, since although it's literally a power supply (the actual charger itself is onboard the car) there's a fair bit of electronics in them to provide extra safety checks before it puts any power through the connector to the car..... there's a chance something has become fried and it's beyond repair, but if you're interested to try and help, and you're reasonably Lancashire-ish, I'd be only too happy to bring this to you

in advance, many thanks

Paul

Could it be reacting to an earth problem at your property  ?  Or the socket itself ?    Just guessing .    

I'm not sure there,s anyone on here who could help with the unit itself ... but lets wait & see ,  you never know on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working fine initially (its replacement is happy enough now in the same socket) and this faulty unit was tested at another property, and showed the same fault. They're known for having some kind of bad fuse, but clearly, when the internal fuse has blown, there are no lights at all !

I have a mate who does electronic repairs and we'll be in Morcambe next week, if you pm me a contact number I think he'd have a look at it for you, he'd probably do a couple of tests on your house earthing as well. 

Hi Phil, that would be awesome, we did however rule out issues with the house electrics since the faulty charger didn't work when we tried it in multiple other properties, and yet two other known-to-work chargers work perfectly at home.

Hi Phil, that would be awesome, we did however rule out issues with the house electrics since the faulty charger didn't work when we tried it in multiple other properties, and yet two other known-to-work chargers work perfectly at home.
I'm sure we could take a look at it for you, if it is some kind of internal fuse or thermal protection device internally, then there's an excellent place not too far from you that does spare parts.

thanks Phil, so you're in Morecambe, are you working there, or the person that might take a look at this lives there ? (trouble is, I'm stuck at work most week days) :(