Getting older means ..........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find :-  

Hair begins to sprout from your ears  :C

You lose certain frequencies from your hearing ability.     In a noisy works or pub  its hard to catch what someone is saying . 

80%  of "Celebrities "   on TV  you have no idea who they are .  

A certain "vagueness "  seems to instil itself into one's being .    Do a bit of shopping today in a local "Mall"      .  Missus is buying some nuts in a health store that are 90 times cheaper in ASDA ,  so I wander into an EE phone shop .      I've been considering a pointy finger  phone with a larger screen .

I can see the phones glued to the show stand ,  at the end I could see my own phone  priced at £4     :huh:            I could see one at  £39.00   and another at £50.00  .   Missus appears  , I indicate said phones " Might have one of those "         "  You have your driving glasses on ...... they are £39   per month   , purchase price  £800 . "   :eek:     

"Hair begins to sprout from your ears" ..... and your nose and your back, but STOPS growing from your head.

+1 on the celebrities.

Phones, I never buy or rent one, far too easy to get a relatives "obsolete" 2 year old one for free and then get the cheapest SIM only contract (currently £5 per month)

Phones, I never buy or rent one, far too easy to get a relatives "obsolete" 2 year old one for free and then get the cheapest SIM only contract (currently £5 per month)
I'm glad I'm not the only tight-a**e on here!  Mine is a "useless" cast off which I put a new battery in and then bought the same £5 deal.

I'm going away for a few days next week and I'm seriously looking at seeing my GP and asking for a scan when I return, I'm sure I'm developing dementia or Alzheimers. I keep putting things down and forgetting where I've put them, or going to the shop and coming back with the wrong stuff,recently I went out for say ,tea bags, dog food and toilet roll, I actually came back with milk (we don't use it), biscuits, crisps, bread, dog food and a newspaper!

I seem to spend a lot of time these days getting sidetracked, I go into the shed looking for a drill bit, can't find it, then I remember I've not seen my large crimp tool, so I go looking for it, find it, then remember something else and go looking for that, and so it goes on. I've even got to a stage where I struggle finding my way around strange places, I usually get someone to take me now if it's somewhere I've not been to before, especially if it's miles away.

Oddly enough, I'm still ok with the electrics, although I do struggle with learning new stuff, again I can remember stuff from 40 0r 50 years ago, but if someone told me to go to such a place and ask for Steve, if I don't write it down by the time I've gone to the place, even if it's only 5 minutes away, I've forgotten who I'm going to see.

I did see a doctor and he asked me a few questions, one of them was something like this, red ball, green square number 6, he then chats about other things and asks you about 5 minutes later, what they were, trouble was, as I was mentally repeating the list in my head. 

ID Mobile. Belongs to Carphone warehouse.   Probably more limited on data than most but adequate for me.
I was paying £14 a month on O2, 1GB data, unlimited calls and texts, daughter in law got me same thing on Sky, which runs on O2 for £6 a month, winner.

but if someone told me to go to such a place and ask for Steve, if I don't write it down by the time I've gone to the place, even if it's only 5 minutes away, I've forgotten who I'm going to see.
Been like that for years .    When I was really busy I looked after some printing firms ,  I found if I turned up most people  knew me by name and would greet me , but I couldn't remember their names  ....just faces  , unless I'd worked closely with them.    

They knew me because I was the only Sparks who ever came there.       I felt it was really rude of me  so I wrote all the names in a book , in the van .

In a similar vein ,  one wholesaler I had an account with , used them for years ,  the counter guy always called me Dave  , (a la Rodney)   I never corrected him , no idea why not  ,  I had to warn my mate that  they wouldn't know who I was unless he referred to me as Dave .  

Getting older ;

I also find those car crash programmes scare the bejabbers out of me now .      Or I hear one of two idiot local  youngsters who drive up my road , reaching  about 70 MPH  . 

If , say , my neighbour's kids did , as they do , cross to their Gran's house  opposite .....the total  stopping distance would be 96 metres  ...the wazzuk would  just mow them down .

Mind you we get a warning from his sound system , which rattles the windows from 300 mtrs away .  

Getting older ;

I also find those car crash programmes scare the bejabbers out of me now .      Or I hear one of two idiot local  youngsters who drive up my road , reaching  about 70 MPH  . 

If , say , my neighbour's kids did , as they do , cross to their Gran's house  opposite .....the total  stopping distance would be 96 metres  ...the wazzuk would  just mow them down .

Mind you we get a warning from his sound system , which rattles the windows from 300 mtrs away .  
Haven't had to deal with an RTC for a couple of years now, seem to keep missing them, the local cops used to love me when they were busy, it was just like having an extra traffic cop when I arrived on scene, I'd close lanes, direct traffic, I even ended up threatening to book 2 drivers for using mobile phones at one incident. I was directing traffic, wearing my usual kit and they drove past in the slow moving traffic, holding their phones to their ears, talk about taking the mick! I stopped one, asked if he could give me a good reason for not booking him, he said he couldn't, I said I was too busy dealing with one incident without him causing another, so to take it as a warning, the cop that was with me, howled with laughter as the errant motorist drove away with a sheepish look on his face.

One night I was chatting with a mate of mine, motorway cop, we were both parked up at the top of a slip road, there's 2 pull in's one either side, he was in his new BMW and I was in my volvo, both wearing our blacks, we were stood watching the traffic and chatting about general stuff. This boy racer comes hurtling up the slip, sees the '2' police cars, then the '2' cops, the look on his face was a picture, I asked Paul, my cop friend if he was going to go and pull him for speeding, he burst out laughing and said he thought the shock of seeing us 2 was enough.lol

I really miss dealing with the accidents, and the camaraderie, my car looked like an unmarked unit, and I carried all the kit, even down to the blue lights, none of the local cops bothered, the only time one got upset was at an RTC near work. I,d put a road closure on and set up a diversion, they were fine with that, until the sergeant discovered that I had the latest road warning lamps! He then insisted on taking a load of photo's of both the scene I'd set up, and my equipment, apparently he was going to have it out with his inspector as to why I had better equipment than they did, and as far as I know he still hasn't been issued the new lights, lol 

Haven't had to deal with an RTC for a couple of years now, seem to keep missing them, the local cops used to love me when they were busy, it was just like having an extra traffic cop when I arrived on scene, I'd close lanes, direct traffic, I even ended up threatening to book 2 drivers for using mobile phones at one incident. I was directing traffic, wearing my usual kit and they drove past in the slow moving traffic, holding their phones to their ears, talk about taking the mick! I stopped one, asked if he could give me a good reason for not booking him, he said he couldn't, I said I was too busy dealing with one incident without him causing another, so to take it as a warning, the cop that was with me, howled with laughter as the errant motorist drove away with a sheepish look on his face.

One night I was chatting with a mate of mine, motorway cop, we were both parked up at the top of a slip road, there's 2 pull in's one either side, he was in his new BMW and I was in my volvo, both wearing our blacks, we were stood watching the traffic and chatting about general stuff. This boy racer comes hurtling up the slip, sees the '2' police cars, then the '2' cops, the look on his face was a picture, I asked Paul, my cop friend if he was going to go and pull him for speeding, he burst out laughing and said he thought the shock of seeing us 2 was enough.lol

I really miss dealing with the accidents, and the camaraderie, my car looked like an unmarked unit, and I carried all the kit, even down to the blue lights, none of the local cops bothered, the only time one got upset was at an RTC near work. I,d put a road closure on and set up a diversion, they were fine with that, until the sergeant discovered that I had the latest road warning lamps! He then insisted on taking a load of photo's of both the scene I'd set up, and my equipment, apparently he was going to have it out with his inspector as to why I had better equipment than they did, and as far as I know he still hasn't been issued the new lights, lol 

even highways agency traffic offers arent that keen to play police man

"Hair begins to sprout from your ears" ..... and your nose and your back, but STOPS growing from your head.

+1 on the celebrities.

Not necessarily, my thyroid decided to pack up. The result, my Guy the Gorilla body hair fell out and the hair on my head got thicker. I’m now growing my full beard back.

Beard_zps1561ae02.jpg

??

Are you saying you're a policeman? 

??

Are you saying you're a policeman? 
No, lol, I've been wearing black polo shirts and black pants for work well before the police started wearing polo shirts, I used to be on an incident support team as a volunteer, sometimes I'd go to incidents in my own vehicle, so I invested in a lot of equipment, I met a lot of the local coppers during this time, and also when I had a spell training police dogs (it helped me to relax after a day at work lol)

If you've got the kit and the knowledge then you somehow feel obligated to stop at accidents, especially if there's no-one from the emergency services on scene yet. I saw a cracker on Monday, the ultimate act of stupidity, a dark early morning (approx 7 30am) light rain and reduced visibility, there was an 8 vehicle rtc in lane 3 on the motorway (driving too close) 5 had moved to the hard shoulder, a transit pick-up was stuck on the armco in the central reservation, and behind it were two drivers who'd been involved in the crash. Their cars, although driveable, were still in the live lane,(3)with traffic approaching at speed, the cars were unlit and the drivers were stood at the rear of them exchanging details!

Obviously, this pair of idiots had a death wish, and no I didn't stop, my new car hasn't got all the equipment on it that my old one had, and you never put yourself at risk by trying to help if you are not suitably equipped.

Latest posts