Lighting in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjonesguitar

Reaction score
Hi, I have a garage. I think it is about 2.5m by 5.5m. Any recommendation for lighting? I have thought about one larger fluorescent, which spreads light across the center? Even a double fitting?

Two smaller ones is an option. Also remembering in mind it will get v. cold.

Depends entirely on what you want to do in there. If you just want to put a car in safely, you need minimal light. If you want to use it as a workshop you need a lot more. 

Whichever, these days I wouldn't install fluorescent, (which are slow to come up to full output in extreme cold),  but LED.

Condensation may be an issue too, so IP44 may be wise.  - I'm not sure if its mandatory for current regs, other members are more up to date than me on that.

I actually want it to be flexible, so what use is chosen in the future, as I may let it out....

Two 5 ft LED 48W?

I am going to put one double socket near the consumer unit. Do sockets have an IP rating?

in theory you don't need IP anything in a garage becuase it is dry! In reality condensation in light fittings can be an issue along with spiders, so it's worth putting IP rated lights in to avoid nuisance tripping of lights. I would suggest 2off 5 ft LEDs to give a good spread of light.

you can get IP rated sockets, but I generally put 'metal clad' in garages becuase they are 'bash-proof' - just make sure any cable entries are sealed up to prevent spider entry. 

To be honest, I don't think they be bashed... being sealed is important. Also the Garage is breathable...

Two 48w LEDS binky?

To be honest, I don't think they be bashed... being sealed is important. Also the Garage is breathable...

Two 48w LEDS binky?
 Fair enough, use plastic or PVC back box, just don't leave large cable entries to keep insects out. My prefernce is PVC back box with a TRS gland - the PVC boxes are designed for use with conduit, so have 20mm cicular knockout for the TRS gland (you could just fill any gap with silicone).  Small spiders and woodlice are very god at living in the back of sockets and can occsionally trip electrics out.

2 - gives better spread of light if arranged equally spaced along centre of garage if you are thinking of renting out as a potential workshop. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll need to look, thanks Binky. Just out of interest, the other thing I am doing is having two doors at the front that open outwards. This give an option to leave one permanently closed, with more storage space behind that door.

Try to place one or more lights so that you can see into the car boot or bonnet if one is parked there.  Even if no car there lighting from two angles is always better

ry to place one or more lights so that you can see into the car boot or bonnet if one is parked there.  Even if no car there lighting from two angles is always better
As Bruspark says ,  if  you're parking a car in there  you set the lights out accordingly .  As in ,  don't put the lights over  the car , all that does is light up the car roof. 

I'm not familiar with the term  "  A breathable garage"  TBH  

Small spiders and woodlice are very good at living in the back of sockets and can occsionally trip electrics out.
A good point !   The 19th edition will be looking at the rights of spiders , woodlice  & small insects in general  to the right of access to electrical accessory boxes  ;)   All this sealing up is forcing insects to seek alternative accommodation . 

Or a corrigendum may be issued  to the 18th ....this will result in a new qualification ....details of courses  available soon. 

It will take it's lead from the automotive industry ,  who now recognize the rights of spiders to set up residence  behind vehicle wing mirrors and a right to  be able to build webs in it's immediate area.      This will be termed Zone 1 .  The area behind the mirror will be Zone 0 .  

Last edited by a moderator:
spiders in wing mrrors - they love them  :^O

I had to transport a load of old light fittings to the scrappy from a car park job a few years ago. Took about 6 months to clear the spiders out of my van - annoying little sods, every morning a new web in the corner of the windscreen / bulkhead / air-vents...

There one in the mirror of wife's car, called Brian , been there for at least 2 years . 
I had one living in a mirror on one of my cars, it used to pop out and have a look around when the car stopped at the end of a journey, one day we'd driven to Blackpool after having a look around it got off the mirror and disappeared, obviously it fancied a holiday. I can't help wondering if it stayed in Blackpool or whether it hitched a ride to somewhere else.

I had one living in a mirror on one of my cars, it used to pop out and have a look around when the car stopped at the end of a journey, one day we'd driven to Blackpool after having a look around it got off the mirror and disappeared, obviously it fancied a holiday. I can't help wondering if it stayed in Blackpool or whether it hitched a ride to somewhere else.
It's fit and well and living in the mirror of my xtrail. It regularly weaves the toughest of webs stretching back to the door. They easily stand a 100mile or so drive intact.

It's fit and well and living in the mirror of my xtrail. It regularly weaves the toughest of webs stretching back to the door. They easily stand a 100mile or so drive intact.
You never know, maybe its my spider living in your mirror, lol, that enjoyed spinning webs, I think it left when I joked about charging it rent. lol