PIR Motion Sensor Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2711

Reaction score
Hi. I’m looking for some advice. 

I have a b&q PIR motion sensor light with 3 entry points. 1) Neutral blue 2) Live In brown 3 3) Live out black 

however the spur feed running to the breaker in my garage has only twin core with a earth, the twin core is black & red colours. 

Which of the 3 connector points on the PIR light get connected given the spur has two wires. 

Given its a PIR there is no requirement for a switch as I understand to control the PIR in between there and the breaker.

Any advice would be appreciated 

You just wire your.....

Twin Live Red to the lamp 2) Live In Brown.

Twin Neutral Black to the lamp 1) Neutral Blue.

it sounds as though your lamp has no Earth connection to terminate your twin and earth Earth onto?

(it maybe a "ClassII or double insulated" lamp that has no Earth connection)

The lamp 3) Live out Black..

is a connection if you wanted to work a second lamp from the same PIR sensor..

OR  connect an override switch to manually turn on the light.

Guinness

Hope that helps..?

and welcome  :Salute

Last edited by a moderator:
Special edition 👍 

really appreciate this advice and makes sense how you’ve worded this. 

Thank you 

Special edition 👍 

really appreciate this advice and makes sense how you’ve worded this. 

Thank you 

Thank you Pete2711 for feeding back to the forum. To often we get questions that members answer, but then we never get any feedback if the solutions worked. So please let us know if you tried the method suggested?  and did it fix your problem?

Doc H.

Hi Doc.

thanks for your reply.

i have a further question can you PM me so I can send you a photo of the unit.

regards 

Pete 

Hi Doc.

thanks for your reply.

i have a further question can you email me on ****.***** ......****.co.uk so I can send you a photo of the unit.

regards 

Pete 

Edit that post pdq before all the scammer sites pick up your email address. 

Hi Doc 

It doesn’t seem to have worked. I have the lamp blue connected from the black twin core feed. I have the lamp brown connected to the red twin core feed. I have left the black lamp wire not connected as you said.  

However no joy, might be the PIR itself that’s faulty. It was new so no reason why it should be faulty.

What test equipment do you have to verify that your supply voltage is present.

Doc H

Hi Doc. 

The existing light off off the same line is working fine, I ran a spur off the lighting circuit with a junction box.

Hi Doc. 

The existing light off off the same line is working fine, I ran a spur off the lighting circuit with a junction box.

But I repeat what test equipment do you have to verify that your supply voltage is present? And have you actually read the voltage at the PIR sensor terminals.

Doc H. 

Latest posts