Latest On Site Guide out this week .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the same book that was on eBay a couple of weeks ago?
No ,  I've had it for a few years ,  from an  indoor car boot sale , along with this one .   

Tried to sell the jointing one to Miss Sweedy  but she seems to think things have have moved on a bit .  :C    You know what these foreigners  are like . 

Scan0006.jpg

Scan0007.jpg

I am very concerned that you have not been using this guidance enough. Surely it should be more tatty and dog-eared by now?

Doc H.
The inner cover is mint Doc ,  must have been on a shelf since 1942 .   A snip at only 5/- bob    ( 5 shillings)    or  25p  on Metrication Day .  

Scan0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's what we do, you get your old OSG and the other book, I'll get my old test kit from the same period, and I'll get my mate who has some really old tools including one of those rotary rawl  drills. Then we buy an old moggie minor van and off we go, oh, anyone got any of those old wooden ladders they want to donate to us? lol

image.png

image.png

image.png

I remember the wind up Meggers  ...Edgecombe  was it who made them ?   

But what the hell is the other thing ?   A rotary  Rawlplugger  ?     A hammer drill without the drill . ? 

Never seen a rotary rawl drill like that

Is the business end just an ordinary rawl percussion drill that you could hold whilst tapping with hammer?   

It looks like it's made for  a left hander too, --- or has the photo got reversed?

You turn the handle and it rotates and hammers, the drill bit is a standard one as used in the traditional hammer bit that you hit with a hammer, interestingly enough, the handle can be swapped over for either left, or right handed use.

In our intake sub I was told to install new lighting and was given a rawl drill. After a day of hammering the damn thing I borrowed a 110V drill from one of the workshops.

The NWEB weren’t happy when I wired it in to one of the metering VT’s, it sent the works summation metering haywire. Every time I used the drill our power usage went down by about 3MVAHr.

The rotary Rawldrill dates back to the 1930's not sure how long they were manufactured for

Well I've never seen that Rawl drill before, looks interesting.

i still have some of those Masonary drills that you hammer, then turn, and repeat many torturing times, we used to call them dooking irons, horrible things, think I only ever used them once a long long time ago.

Phil I'm sure in a dark corner of my workshop there is a wooden set of ladders I can donate to your cause😀

i still have some of those Masonary drills that you hammer, then turn, and repeat many torturing times, we used to call them dooking irons, horrible things,
We called them Rawlplug Tools  .... Plugging Tools  or Jumper Bits  .      

I posted this here  before but as an apprentice they were the norm .    Many of us were installing lighting on a new multi - storey  car park  , a line of us sitting on top of steps , plugging the concrete ceiling  for conduit saddles  with those things .  

We can hear a strange reverberating noise from below and despatched someone to investigate .   He came back aghast .... the sprinkler guys  have electric drills that hammer .... they're called Hilti   :C

Plugging a saddle fixing took about 15 minutes  in concrete   ..the Hilti men ...15 seconds.  

We called them Rawlplug Tools  .... Plugging Tools  or Jumper Bits  .      

I posted this here  before but as an apprentice they were the norm .    Many of us were installing lighting on a new multi - storey  car park  , a line of us sitting on top of steps , plugging the concrete ceiling  for conduit saddles  with those things .  

We can hear a strange reverberating noise from below and despatched someone to investigate .   He came back aghast .... the sprinkler guys  have electric drills that hammer .... they're called Hilti   :C

Plugging a saddle fixing took about 15 minutes  in concrete   ..the Hilti men ...15 seconds.  
I remember being really annoyed once, I'd been on this job for weeks, it was the opening day and there was a bit of a party for the lads who'd worked on it, we only had a couple of lighting transformers to fit so not hard, but I'm not being sent back, oh no, the apprentice (bosses son) is doing it, naturally he'll get to go to the party too. "dad says you've got to give me your drill" he said, rather smugly, I handed him a rawltool and he looked at it in horror, "what's that do?" he asked, "hit it with a hammer and twist it" I replied before driving away to another job.I wouldn't mind, but he only needed  4 holes in some of those soft blocks, I've done them with an old screwdriver before now!