Electrical Wiring Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimboX

Reaction score
In my bedroom I have 2 switches that are wired into the lighting circuit. They are wired as follows: 2 reds into the top terminal, 1 red into the bottom terminal, 3 blacks linked together and not connected and 3 earths linked together and fixed to the metal back box. 1 red, 1 black and 1 earth are from a short length of 3-core that sticks out of the wall to accept a light fitting fixture.
I would like to change the switch faceplate to a switched 3-pin socket faceplate so that I can plug in a light and do away with the extra wire altogether.
Is this feasible?
If so which wires should I remove and what alternative connections from the wires list above do I connect to the 3-pinsocket faceplate live, neutral and earth sockets?

I think ,  by the what you've said ,  that you could , but you need to fit a 5 Amp  X 3 pin socket  .    Dump what you call the 3 core to the light fitting . 

You have   Live , Neutral & Earths there  .

If you fit a 13A  socket theres danger of a high current appliance being plugged in . 

As we always say on here ....always switch off the power before messing .    Most important. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As Sir Deke of Evans-Electric Towers says...

NOT good putting standard 13A socket onto a lighting circuit..

But there are special 5A round-pin sockets more suitable for this application...

e.g.  Toolstation part No 61631

https://www.toolstation.com/mk-unswitched-socket/p61631?searchstr=5A SOCKET

For use with plug, Toolstation Part No 77325

https://www.toolstation.com/plug-top-round-3-pin-plug/p77325

BUT...

The depth of the back box maybe tight if it is only a standard 16mm light switch box...

Sockets and 16mm back-boxes NEVER go well together!

:(  

The advice of the above posters is correct and I'd advise the OP to follow it, in my house I have a 13A socket connected to the lighting circuit, but only because SWMBO insisted on a lamp with one of those horrible adaptors on it that fit into a 13A socket. If it was anyone else's home it would be a no go, but since it's mine I'm in control of what may or may not get plugged in, however if we were to move out then it would be removed before we left. As electricians I'm sure we all do things at home that we'd never do on an actual paying job, but as I said earlier, in our own home we are in control of it. 

I too have 2 x 13A sockets on my downstairs lighting circuit .............BUT they are behind the kick boards and are necessary to plug in the transformers for our under cupboard lights ....

I too have 2 x 13A sockets on my downstairs lighting circuit .............BUT they are behind the kick boards and are necessary to plug in the transformers for our under cupboard lights ....
Under the control of skilled and instructed naturally, you're a spark, (skilled) and your missus has been instructed not to plug the iron into them. lol

Under the control of skilled and instructed naturally, you're a spark, (skilled) and your missus has been instructed not to plug the iron into them. lol

That's correct

Not sure she knows that they are there .......... unless you take the kick boards off, they are not visible