Don't know they're born some of 'em .....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just reflecting upon today's society.  

One or two stories of would be apprentices who didn't want to work or who had to be surgically separated from their cell phones.  

Youngsters seem to grow up doing sod all ,  with further education many  have not actually started work  by 25  +   :C

In my case ,  paper round at 13  plus Saturday job washing the cars at a 2nd hand car sales  lot.    

Two mates also paper rounds ,  another two mates  did Saturdays  at a car repair shop behind the sales pitch .

Just saying . 

I don't drink tea, or coffee, I never have, but, I will still make a brew for the lads. I've worked with people who's attitude is, 'well I don't drink it so I'm not making it', not a good attitude really.

One of the first sparks I ever worked with said the best apprentice you could have was a Black & Decker workmate so I said bring one in as I wanted to see if it could bet me at making a brew

I don't drink tea, or coffee, I never have, but, I will still make a brew for the lads. I've worked with people who's attitude is, 'well I don't drink it so I'm not making it', not a good attitude really.

You don't make a bad brew

when I was doing my apprenticeship I spent 6 months in the m/c shop office - got a glowing report as I always had the kettle on and boiled just in time for tea breaks.

The company I severed my time with had a policy of you’re here to learn not make tea. Each of the lads would if they had slack time made a brew, foreman, charge hand, mate or apprentice, it made no difference. The workshop was fuelled by tea.

I remember when I started at the farm, I'd only gone to install some camera's and stayed for 4 years, I had my own bench in a quiet corner and set about creating a leccy shop. It was pretty cold in winter and I used to go in, make a hot chocolate, light a fag and sit at my bench ( I was building some panels at the time) anyway one of the lads came in and took one look at me, "the old farmer won't be happy with you, he doesn't like people having a drink outside brew time" he told me, it was bitter cold that week and to be honest the hot drink was more to warm my fingers up than anything else. Anyway along comes the old guy, has a look and wandered off, a while later he came back, and I've got another drink, but the work is going well. The following day he comes back again, now, not only have I got my drink, but I've got an ashtray, he looks at me, looks at the brew and the fag in the ashtray, and rubbed his hands together, "it's bleeding freezing in here mate, you need a heater" and wandered off. A couple of hours later the other lads arrived and built a sort of polythene tent over my 'leccy shop' then brought me a heater! Nobody knew why the old guy was being so nice to me, it was only when the job was done and they found out how much I was saving the farm by making my own panels that they finally worked out why the old fella wasn't bothered about me drinking and smoking at my bench. Money really does talk, especially when you are dealing with farmers, I was going through a bad patch health wise at the time and sometimes I'd not turn up until about 4 pm then work through until the early hours, again he never bothered, not until I went off on one. I arrived at about 3 pm feeling very restless, I got into the job and decided to install some cables, I got so chilled I lost track of time, I remember it going dark, then hours later the farmer appeared, "ain't you  got a home to go to?" he asked, "yes why?" I replied, "well, it's nearly 4 am and I'd like to go to bed, so why don't you go home," he said. I took the hint and went, happy times they were.

I have to disagree  with  the   .."  They know everything  "  theme .       I seem to  deduce  a rather smug  pride  that infers that manual work is below  their station   ....

the sort of ...." Oh I just a little man in "   attitude  .      Also a certain pride in demonstrating  that they  are incapable of screwing a coat hook to the wall .   

Its often  inferred  in the police series  Morse   or Endeavour   when a jumped up school teacher  in some academically  inflated position at an Oxford   college  will  sneer at Morse's fall from academia  into the lowly job of a Chief Inspector at  Trent Valley Police  Force.