Give us a tip !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Following on from an earlier post about short courses during which a couple of us mentioned how you only learn when you're out in the real world I thought I'd start a post on tips, I'm sure us older sparks could teach the young uns a thing or two. I'll start off with this.

1 an old tape measure makes an ideal tool for fishing cables under floors, strip cable back a little and hook the earth through the hole in the end.

2 the lanyards from the Elex shows make handy tape holders,feed it through the hole in the roll of tape, loop it back through itself and clip it onto your belt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Other cable fishing improvised aids, (depending on exact task)

The flat metal strips sold as cheap drain clearers. - can be flicked to ride over rough surfaces like old lath and plaster.

Spiral curtain wire.

The capping off mini-trunking.

Steal a couple of the kid's Geomag toys.

GUEST_a3e95750-cb40-448b-bc76-ed42e59bbb21.jpeg

Super strong attracting magnets. One on a string and one on a rod to poke up. Great if dropping down through stud walls and they make an satisfyingly loud click when they mate.

Downlights......drill,1/4" hole in ceiling. Bit of coathanger/2.5 bent at 90° as long as radius of fitting hole plus clearance. Shove in hole, rotate whilst moving it up,and down. If you don't hit anything then it's safe to drill hole. Do this to,ALL positions before selling big hole. It's easier to fill,1/4" hole if it goes pants!

drill hole through end of masonry git. Drill,throughnwall, tie cage on, pull,back through hole

marked a white ceiling tile?   Tipped OR a quick puff of talc

no chalk string line?........substitute with some plaster and a bit of cable

by all means carry a hank of GY/blue/brown sleeve with you BUT cut off loads of bits 3" long and throw them in bottom of tool bag 

temp wire bundling?    Put on cable tie wrong way round....also,carry a few releasing ones

buy a set of SuperRods!

don buy a MegaMole 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

Downlights......drill,1/4" hole in ceiling. Bit of coathanger/2.5 bent at 90° as long as radius of fitting hole plus clearance. Shove in hole, rotate whilst moving it up,and down. If you don't hit anything then it's safe to drill hole. Do this to,ALL positions before selling big hole. It's easier to fill,1/4" hole if it goes pants!
This is worth passing on ,  its your worst nightmare , drilling blind into a ceiling  .  I'm amazed at the many tales I hear of drilling through water  pipes etc  .

I do the same as this if cutting a Fastafix box into P/board  blind  ,  As Kerch says  , drill small hole and in this case , make sure you're  not right by a stud  or noggin before cutting out a twin box.

This is worth passing on ,  its your worst nightmare , drilling blind into a ceiling  .  I'm amazed at the many tales I hear of drilling through water  pipes etc  .

I do the same as this if cutting a Fastafix box into P/board  blind  ,  As Kerch says  , drill small hole and in this case , make sure you're  not right by a stud  or noggin before cutting out a twin box.
Cutting a floorboard is more risky. More chance of finding the pipe touching the underside of the board and getting "the fountain"

I always but PB holes with a pad saw, not the multitool, you can feel what you are sawing through,

For plasterboard backboxes, I always use a very thin non insulated screwdriver, push through at the proposed 4 corners and one in the middle, if that is clear multitool is out.

drill hole through end of masonry git. Drill,throughnwall, tie cage on, pull,back through hole

marked a white ceiling tile?   Tipped OR a quick puff of talc

no chalk string line?........substitute with some plaster and a bit of cable

by all means carry a hank of GY/blue/brown sleeve with you BUT cut off loads of bits 3" long and throw them in bottom of tool bag 

temp wire bundling?    Put on cable tie wrong way round....also,carry a few releasing ones

buy a set of SuperRods!

don buy a MegaMole 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
CK Mighty Rods are so much better than super rod and wont shatter or splinter in your hand also the Spiroflex rod is a life saver for awkward spots

To summarise:  Only trust and believe what you have seen or tested for yourself.  Anything else is just optional areas of further investigation,  which may or may not prove to be true.

Doc H.

All very true ...with one exception  I believe .... if you're attending an industrial breakdown say  , or any machine or system failure  I suppose ,   I learned from my first years on maintenance and from Bob the Breakdown  ....always ask the operator what happened  & when , it can often take you straight to the cause  instead of working blind .   

OK sometimes he's the one who beggered it up  then he'll usually spin an unlikely yarn thats no help at all. 

Often the operator  knows the machine well  and will say something like ,   theres  a funny noise from over there , never heard that before ...or one of  the old favourites  ...there was a fishy smell all morning  and then it just cut out . 

The other old favourite ,   the guy says "It'll be the solenoid in there  ...its always that !!"       Usually is too . 

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s also the machine operator that thinks they know how to run the machine better than the designer. I had one who no matter how many times he was told/warned insisted he knew better. Without telling anyone I put a monitoring section in the program, even the electricians didn’t notice 700 registers had suddenly vanished. I then waited. Sure enough I was called in to a meeting following a near miss incident (near miss, it was a near fatality), revenge was mine!

Normally though, as Deke said, the operator can often point you to the fault.

Machine operators can sometimes be a pain in the backside too, many years ago I was asked to install a machine in a small factory, I went and had a look, it was nothing big, no problem at all really, or at least it shouldn't have been!

I arranged the day to do the work, gathered the materials and on the agreed day I arrived around 8.30 to carry out the work, I ran a cable from the nearby dis board to an isolator and from there ran the cable to the machine, connected all the ends up, did the dead tests, then turned on the isolator, did a loop test and finally a test to check the phase sequences were correct.

I called for the factory owner and told him we were all ready to go, we just needed the operator to actually run the machine as a final test, that's when it all started to get unpleasant! The owner wanted me to run the machine up, now, it's one thing to start a compressor, or a conveyor, or any of the machines I happen to be familiar with. This machine, however, was different, I'd never even seen one, let alone operated one, no way was I starting it up, that's how accidents happen.

Anyway, it turned out that they'd bought this machine, but nobody knew how to operate it, "I thought it was part of your job, showing us how it works" the manager informed me, "no, my job is to connect it up and that's it" I replied. "well, in that case, I don't think you'll be getting paid" he replied sarcastically, I opened the door on the control panel and removed my test lamps from where they were hanging around my neck. "watch this" I told him, I took one probe and jabbed it in the incoming neutral terminal, then jabbed the other one into L1, it lit, then L2, again it lit, finally, I jabbed it into L3. "now, do you agree that there is power to this machine? " I asked, he nodded, "well yes, but", I interrupted him, "but nothing, my job is to get a supply to that machine and that's the end of it, I have no idea how it works or what it does, so I'm not starting it up". He gave me a funny look then added, "but suppose it doesn't work?" Look mate, it's got it's supply and that's the end of it, I ain't starting it and I want paying" he opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off, "put it this way, it'll take a lot less time to take the cables out than it did to put them in, and I'll make sure nobody else will touch the job" I added, and I meant it.

This seemed to have the desired effect because he suddenly suggested we head back to his office while we sorted out the bill. There was no way I was starting that machine, imagine the problems if I'd broken it, or worse still hurt somebody.