Looking for an "old School" bathroom panel heater.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fitted a new Dimplex panel heater for a customer recently, one that she had bought.  The latest version of the Dimplex heaters with the fancy electronic eco controls to meet the latest silly EU regulations.

A week later she called me back to disconnect it so she could take it back. It is not fit for purpose. Half the time it just turns off and tells her silly things like "window open" (which it was not)

She wants me to find instead an old school bathroom panel heater that has nothing more than a timer and a thermostat. None of this silly eco nonsense that stops it doing it's intended function of heating her bathroom.

Anyone know where I can find such a thing or anyone have one they are willing to sell (would need to be posted)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't like these new Dimplex ones.  Apart from this one that the customer has rejected, I fitted another for a different customer.  I tried and gave up trying to figure out how to set the timer times.  Far too complex and totally not intuitive.

So really looking for a make other than Dimplex.

My guess the "window open" issue, is this heater was in the bathroom of an old poorly insulated house. I suspect it turned the heater on, did not see the room temperature rising fast enough so throws up this "window open" nonsense.  I really can't be bothered with rubbish like that.

Let's hope @rapparee sees this thread and can add something.

I really can't be bothered with rubbish like that.
You & me both  Dave .     Theres a particular floor heating  system  that I ...and I should add  ....quite a few others have trouble programming them .     As I remember  my brain couldn't handle the logic  applied by the programme designer ,   far too complicated  and over egged.  

The only way to get them working is to phone their tech dept   & a 16 yr old girl  talks you through it .     :C

In spite of TLC's site saying they had one in stock, I have just had an email saying they are out of stock and the order is cancelled.

So back to the drawing board.

Good for you, I see you're sorted.

Sorry I haven't logged in this week.

Our new panel heaters are Lot20 compliant. The window open option can be turned off. I had to do the same with the one in my office.

I would have suggested a Dimplex EF12, they're specially designed for bathrooms or one of our Nordic panel heaters. You can get a "mechanical" controller for them I could have sent you. The Nobø heaters have interchangeable controllers from basic mechanical to top of the line Wi-Fi spec.

I've just seen the price you paid. 😂

You are taking no hurt. I couldn't compete with that.

Thanks @rapparee

This heater was supplied by the customer so I had no say in it's choice.  It is good to know other new options are available.  Re the window open thing, we obviously jumped the gun there, but I think by that point she was fed up with "the silly thing" keep shutting off and had lost confidence in it.

I do have to say I find the setting of the controller over complicated, and I thought I was reasonably intelligent. There would seem to be scop for making things simpler to understand and set up how you want it.

Next time I need one I will ask first about the different models available.

Will you please stop resurrecting old threads, it does nothing to add value to the post nor the forum.

It is becoming quite irritating now. All you achieve is to clutter the forum with irrelevant threads. 
some might say that your behaviour is like that of a troll. 
you clearly do not monitor the forum regularly as there have been threads recently on heating and you are nowhere to be seen, but I dare say you’ll ignore the advice and we will see your input to these threads at some point way into the future. 

Will you please stop resurrecting old threads, it does nothing to add value to the post nor the forum.

It is becoming quite irritating now. All you achieve is to clutter the forum with irrelevant threads. 
some might say that your behaviour is like that of a troll. 

To me it looks like blatant meaningless posts just to advertise his company.

I am surprised the forum owners allow it, unless he is paying them money as a forum sponser?