Mandatory guarantee

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just noticed this in a letter from NIC/ELECSA   I quote  ;-

"  The Department of Communities & Local Government   (DCLG)    now stipulate that a mandatory guarantee MUST be offered to your customers  for the work you undertake  -  a change from the optional   guarantee service you now offer .  

I have to say I have always adopted the Kerching  approach  to " selling insurance policies at the door for some other company for no financial gain  "    as the way to go  to be honest . 

I also have to say that I will continue with that doctrine  until I 'm dragged off kicking & screaming by the men the white coats . 

Everything over £75 has to be put in for warranty at NAPIT. I just stick the extra cost on the bill. 

I just noticed this in a letter from NIC/ELECSA   I quote  ;-

"  The Department of Communities & Local Government   (DCLG)    now stipulate that a mandatory guarantee MUST be offered to your customers  for the work you undertake  -  a change from the optional   guarantee service you now offer .  

I have to say I have always adopted the Kerching  approach  to " selling insurance policies at the door for some other company for no financial gain  "    as the way to go  to be honest . 

I also have to say that I will continue with that doctrine  until I 'm dragged off kicking & screaming by the men the white coats . 

Dunno about the letter you refer to....

either I haven't received it..    or haven't read it....

But either way NIC have AFAIK always automatically included the insurance aspect to all notified jobs...

Grand cost  £3.00 per job!!!!

I really cant see any problems or issues..

As No-One has to try and sell any insurance to anyone...

You just bang an extra £5.00 onto every job to cover the £3.00 you are being charged at the point of notification to cover the insurance part as well...

So you Do nothing except do the job and notify it..

And make a 40%  (£2.00) profit on the notification aspect for very little extra work....

I really can't see what there is to kick and struggle about???

:C

I'll scan the letter .........I think ..re- reading it  I may have the wrong end of the stick  ,  I took it that WE , the electrician   should be pushing the warranty at the customer . 

Thats what I assumed anyway . 

Scan0011.jpg

Read between the lines....

They are basically saying they want to charge more for notifications.

I've forgotten how the 'platinum promise' works but assume if it goes wrong due to poor materials or workmanship you have to go back and fix it much like you would do anyways ?

But they charge a fee! 

Don't really get this malarkey, I'll go back to filing unistrut, much simpler!

If any contractor has ballsed up a job, and it is proved they have been negligent etc etc..

Then they are liable to go back and do whatever remedial work is needed to fix the issue at their own expense..

BUT..  if customer finds work was negligent a couple of years later and in the meantime the contractor has retired, ceased trading, serious illness unable to work etc... 

so has wound-up their old business..

Customer has no-where to go..

i.e.  If business no-longer trading, legally customer has no one to claim against..

f I recall it was introduce following loads of similar problems in the building trade with conservatory fitters...

Who built conservatory...  18months later roof starts leaking...  Company no-longer trading..

so customer high-and-dry with worthless 5 or 10 year warranty bit of paper issued by the contractor!..

So FENSA set up their insurance backed warranty which is independent of if the business is trading anymore or not.

AFAIK  The whole Part-P warranty was based on the model used by FENSA for the windows & conservatory's

So thats where the "insurance backed warranty" malarkey comes in...  customer contacts scheme provider...

They then get AN.Other contractor to put it right costs paid for via insurance claim...

:coffee

Last edited by a moderator:
So thats where the "insurance backed warranty" malarkey comes in...  customer contacts scheme provider...

They then get AN.Other contractor to put it right costs paid for via insurance claim...

:coffee

that's assuming you can get said scam to investigate a duff job from one of their members.