they don't make'm like they used to

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing some LED conversion work today and found this, still working in a light fitting just as old. Don't hink I have ever seen a metal starter.

20190125_183011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes  .. BC cap tubes  as Kerch says ,  then an adaptor converting to bi-pin . 

Kerch has the habit of reminding me of stuff from prehistoric times. 

And lead - lag fittings  ... I remember them ordered for a single phase  machine shop  ...they had to be fitted alternatively  in the rows   ,  first a lead then a lag  to stop stroboscopic effects .  The packing was marked up specially. 

I think another way was to fit  twin fittings  where one tube led and the other lagged .

Or on 3 ph  fittings alternated  red ..yellow ...blue. 

All fluorescent fittings seemed to made by Thorn  back then .   :C

I only saw the effect once ,  as an apprentice , called to local factory making  machining transmission gears for the motor industry .      The lathe operator said when he did a certain operation that required a certain speed   , the large spinning gear in the lathe appeared to be standing still  except for a slight  oscillation .

The sparks  (old school)  told me to get the steps and remove the tube above the lathe ,  as soon as the tube went out the gear was spinning  .   

Like when you use a timing light on your car engine pulley.        I can't remember what we did  TBH  ,  I'd be 15 then.      

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts