What Tools Should I Buy For My First Day as Apprentice Electrician?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pre-Apprentice

Reaction score
I have just been offered an apprenticeship as an electrician. I will be starting my apprenticeship soon and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what tools i should look to buy for starting work?

congrats on your apprenticeship

can i have the numbers for this weekends lottery !!!

you will get some decent replies later when the big boys get home who do have apprentices

to start with , the most inportan thing u need is a terminal driver (small 4mm flat screwdriver) and a pair of side cutters.......then u might want to get a full set of screwdrivers............. and just dont do what i did and buy a load of shiny tings :D shiny tings dont help!.....

I just need to know what the basic tools i will need from the start off.. i know i will build my tool kit up as time goes by but i want to turn up at work well equipped

And use marker pen on everything to identify it.

Ian.

basics to start with

toolbag/box

selection of screwdrivers

cable croppers

pliers

side cutters

long nose pliers

hammer

chisel

knife

junior hacksaw

tape measure

padsaw

voltage tester (i.e fluke t100 or similar)

and tape everything to ID them as yours - just make sure you use a different colour scheme to those your working with!

get a volt stick!!! and always test anything your not sure of, even if you have turned it off... check it!!

Well done by the way...:)

It would depend who you worked for. I worked for GEC and was told in no uncertain terms to take all my tools home the company were only insured for tools they provided. Also they were responsible to do all calibration so not allowed any meters that were not calibrated.

So I would turn up with nothing and let the firm suggest any tools.

First job I ever had said all spanners up to 1/2 inch I had to provide which in whitworth was far enough but then we started to get AF nut sizes which doubled the amount of spanners and before I had finished my apprenticeship we had metric so amount of spanners required had increased 3 fold.

But I would now say anything which will require calibration or will ware out should be provided by the company. Also any tool which if in bad condition could cause injury.

This leaves at most a few screw drivers and a moving spanner.

a spoon (to stir the tea)

a sweeping brush

various bandages/plasters(for the inevitable)

good face masks(you'l be spending the next 3 years in every loft imaginable)

good comfortable boots(you'l be in them for long enough)

a t-shirt with 'new 10W electrician' on (slightly dim)

a large box of banter

full set of humour senses

and finally a LARGE clamp (to shut yer gob)

seriously well done, present climate, you've done well my son and dont be tempted to spend a lot on your tools until you've tried a few different ones

let us know how you get on

I have just been offered an apprenticeship as an electrician. I will be starting my apprenticeship soon and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what tools i should look to buy for starting work?
Well done Pre-Apprentice. This may sound like an obvious suggestion but what about contacting the company you are going to be working for and asking if there are any specifics you should provide & any bits they would provide? You need to consider both tools & Heath & safety gear, hard hat, masks, vests, glasses etc.. Some items may be provided to maintain a certain company image.

Doc H.

Well done Pre-Apprentice. This may sound like an obvious suggestion but what about contacting the company you are going to be working for and asking if there are any specifics you should provide & any bits they would provide? You need to consider both tools & Heath & safety gear, hard hat, masks, vests, glasses etc.. Some items may be provided to maintain a certain company image.Doc H.
Worth pointing out that an employer has a statutory duty to provide and maintain all personal protective equipment (PPE). This is strongly enshrined in law.

Also you don't want to start a precedent supplying your own consumables (masks) - it will eat into your wages. If you choose to buy your own PPE all well and good :)

although they have to provide PPE, they may only supply cheap uncomfortble dust masks - you may want to consider a non-disposable type (expect filters every so often) - much more comfortable and well worth the money (or you could get employer to buy you one instead of disposable)

Latest posts