NAPIT the accusators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketflup

BDSM SUB & SWAGFAG™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had a phone call from an unknown (to me) number from miles away, don't usually answer them but did this time

"Hi, this is Max from NAPIT. Have you provisions in place for the engagement of the 18th edition, and if not what are you going to do about it?"

My hackles, straight up. Max got a short answer to his question and the phone disconnected. Just p*%$ed me right off.

Of course, now the phone has been put down, I've thought of a hundred witty retorts that escaped me at the time. Damn my simian brain

'Premier Training' are associated with NAPIT and have been cold calling me regarding 18th edition courses.  It's probably one of their lot.  BTW my number is registered with TPS, so they'll be getting an official complaint in due course.

I too had a call from  "Something-or-other Training "      "Hi  Mr Evans  my name,s Tricia ..are you one of my 18th edition trainees ?   "     

Eh !!  

"No I bloody well 'aint love "  

"OOoo  I have you on my list "

"Well take it off please " 

:C

Looking at my Evans Electric emails on the subject ,   I'd say the 18th edition is generating a lorra , lorra  revenue for the scams & the training companies .    

Had the correspondence been on paper it would have equalled a dozen  300 yr old oak trees .   :redcard  

Well, I have recently had my annual assessment from NICCY. I didn't mention 18th Training but he did. He asked me what I intended doing about it. I said absolutely nowt until someone tells he I HAVE todo it and will not be able to do any meaningful work without it!

i do not have and 3 as I did amd1 and nobody said I needed amd3 .......sooooooo up until 23:59:59 on Dec 31st I was deemed competent without amd3 BUT 1 second later I was suddenly not competent and was required to do a 3 day course as I don't have amd3 and thus, by definition, I am as thick as mince.?

my interpretation of the scenario along with all the guff I have read everywhere is wrong.

as long as I can demonstrate an understanding of the changes within the regs ( which i did remarkably well😂)I can just crack on. If I feel like it I can do an online course then take the exam locally, or just take the exam, or do nothing.

i leave it to the reader to anticipate my next move

i leave it to the reader to anticipate my next move

Hum.........

My assessment with Stroma isn't until around May ............... I'm not even thinking about the 18th and I'm very interested to hear what they say .........................................

Shelf stacking at Tesco's anyone?

As I've said on other posts, these exams prove very little, except that you can read, why should these people expect us to part with a good lump of hard earned cash just to get a piece of paper that states the holder is able to read a question, then look up the answer in a book. This to me is all part of the problem, there are far too many people who while they may have a theoretical knowledge of the regs, have very little practical knowledge, and that's where problems arise.

I think a lot of it is just about generating income for people, I remember at one of the Elex shows,some bloke trying to sell me a new MFT to comply with the new regs (17th ed) I asked him what the difference was between my current meter and the new ones. "well, your meter just gives a measured value, the new ones either give a tick or a cross, or a red or green light as well as a value to indicate pass or fail". well I suppose with that I could send my wife out to do the testing then, but apart from that I can't think of any good reason to persuade me to part with the best part of a grand on a new meter,just because it has a few fancy coloured lights on it.

Hum.........

My assessment with Stroma isn't until around May ............... I'm not even thinking about the 18th and I'm very interested to hear what they say .........................................

Shelf stacking at Tesco's anyone?
Probably need a driving licence for pallet trucks and stillages

How long before someone does a study on the detrimental effects all this lettuced has on the health of electricians

It seems stress is being piled on stress with all the changes, how long will it be before more time will be spent on courses than out on the tools earning money, £400+ spent on a course can easily cost a business £1000 once you add in the loss of earnings and expenses while attending the course

I think most would rather just sit the exam because they know they will pass but the cost of the exam seems to be overpriced when compared to the course and exam package

It seems these days we are working to buy books, courses and exams rather than reaping the rewards for our efforts

How long before someone does a study on the detrimental effects all this lettuced has on the health of electricians

It seems stress is being piled on stress with all the changes, how long will it be before more time will be spent on courses than out on the tools earning money, £400+ spent on a course can easily cost a business £1000 once you add in the loss of earnings and expenses while attending the course

I think most would rather just sit the exam because they know they will pass but the cost of the exam seems to be overpriced when compared to the course and exam package

It seems these days we are working to buy books, courses and exams rather than reaping the rewards for our efforts
In the words of that pop song from a few years ago, 'it's all about the money, money, money' lol

We need a triple Scoob   button for posts such as this   :Salute  

I too had a call from  "Something-or-other Training "      "Hi  Mr Evans  my name,s Tricia ..are you one of my 18th edition trainees ?   "     

Eh !!  

"No I bloody well 'aint love "  

"OOoo  I have you on my list "

"Well take it off please " 

:C
Now I've just had the call from NAPITT  ..."I understand you're with ELECSA  but a lot of guys are doing the 18th training with us  ,,,and then they decide to join us , when is your assessment due ?" 

I am of the Kerching school of philosophy  ...I'm an ancient  device  who has spent a lifetime in electrical contracting  and have now had more than enough  of  renewing the Regs every two years  , forced to buy OSG,s ,  forced to take £400 courses  on how to look things up a book  and forced to start looking at fitting devices  that  seem to be introduced to satisfy manufacturers   pockets more than anything . 

I am of the Kerching school of philosophy  ...I'm an ancient  device  who has spent a lifetime in electrical contracting  and have now had more than enough  of  renewing the Regs every two years  , forced to buy OSG,s ,  forced to take £400 courses  on how to look things up a book
Don't get be me started as I can feel a rant coming on, hard to believe

Well said Kerch, the sooner we all stop paying for their stupid courses and books that only serve to line their pockets, then the sooner we'll get back to having regs changes when we really need them, in other words to ensure safety, not to line someones pockets.

Well said Kerch, the sooner we all stop paying for their stupid courses and books that only serve to line their pockets, then the sooner we'll get back to having regs changes when we really need them, in other words to ensure safety, not to line someones pockets.

Well said .....

i would venture to suggest that vested interests drive regs changes, so the vested interests can sell more, expensive kit.

AFDD’s anyone?

exactly. manufacturer has people on the inside to get regs pushed forward to include products they sell to 'fix' a problem that doesnt need fixed, using equipment that is known not to work correctly

Latest posts