559.5.1.201 to 559.5.1.208 .........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must have missed the inclusion of this lot when AMD3 came out ................

Just wondering what you guys think about .208 ??????????

Is this "consider" and ignore ?

Well I havnt got amd3 ( see another thread on this ) BUT I was aware of it and have been looping in at switches for years anyway so made naff all difference to me. Quite often take a 3&e up to light anyway. Cost is negligible, gives more options, , makes fault finding easier PLUs I don't do enough of that type of work for it to concern me

just saying

I've been looping at switches for years ......... mainly because of all the carpy small light fittings produced these days ........... and I totally agree about fault finding ............. whya anyone doesn't is beyond me

For the benefit of those who haven't parted with a ton

"Consideration shall be given to the provision of the neutral conductor, at each switch position, to facilitate the installation of electronic switching devices"

Presumably its missing the bit about a minimum box depth of 35mm😀

haven't got my books to hand, so what are they saying? I'm guessing switch fed is the 'new black' and a 3 core to the light is being recommended? 

says consider taking a neutral to the switch

dont do rewires but usually but with more and more electronics switches, i often wire a 3 core between switch & light, then either loop through switch or light. 3 core gives you option of neutral at the switch, or L & SL at the light

Presumably its missing the bit about a minimum box depth of 35mm😀

i did think that myself. 16mm box and youre not fitting much in there

Not aware of this in the Regs  as I'm lagging way behind now ...but have to say , on new build , I've been looping at the switches for years ,  basically started when downlights became popular .   

Usually using 25mm and 35mm boxes  as necessary ,   wouldn't entertain the 16mm PD boxes TBH . 

16mm boxes are a real pita at switches, I had one where the customer had just decorated, then decided to have some new dimmer switches fitted, they rang me when they discovered the switch wouldn't fit onto the existing box, fortunately I was able to peel the paper back enough to hack out the old box, make the hole deeper and get a deeper one in.

The one I always hated was the way councils wired their houses, all in singles, neutral looped at the light and live looped at the switch, no permanent live at the fitting, always a nuisance when fitting those fan/light units that were popular some years ago.