What lamp is needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exa

Its marked with a white spot on the front  , you need to get up there and take a look .    It's too blurred to read on the photo .  

Exactly. Best pics i could get from the ground. I wanted to avoid 2 visits &  it looks to me the air con was fitted after so if ladders are rested on the ac it   will push it back. Makes this  an expensive job to get a cherry picker in

Know what you mean ,   mind you a ladder is probably OK leant on that AC unit .  Or  one of those stand off brackets on top of the ladder might be good. 

If my wholesaler had the lamps on the shelf  he'd give me one of each & bring back what doesn't fit  TBH .  

Comparing the fitting to the AC  I'd guess at a 400w   Metal  Halide  external ignitor  and hope  that St. Elmo  the God of Electricians is smiling down on you .   

Edit ;    Oh there you go ....Kerch has it covered there.   Send them the photo .  

Last edited by a moderator:
My other concern is the light is operated on a timer to stay on all night, the lamp has been blown for months. Often the fitting is knackered. A 130w LED is less than £100 so the builder has just said change the fitting, he reckons the top rungs of a 3 part ladder will fit between the 2 ac units, but i am r handed .  I gave him a health & safety chat so he said he will do it if i am there  😁

My other concern is the light is operated on a timer to stay on all night, the lamp has been blown for months. Often the fitting is knackered. A 130w LED is less than £100 so the builder has just said change the fitting, he reckons the top rungs of a 3 part ladder will fit between the 2 ac units, but i am r handed .  I gave him a health & safety chat so he said he will do it if i am there  😁
I had one like that the other day, fitting is under gutter on a 3 story building, "you'll manage it easily of a long pair of ladders" said the client, I shook my head, "not with health and safety I won't, it's a cherry picker job" I replied, "oh, in that case we'll leave it" he said.

Incidentally, I'd say that the fitting looks like external ignitor, we replaced some at work a few years back, all the gear is in the bit at the bottom, some even have on board photocell.

A word of caution, the cover glass becomes brittle with time. I’ve had a couple of them shatter when the clips were undone. It then leads to another problem, the SON-T lamps have to the cover glass in case they explode.

its either 250 or 400w. cant be sure. its external ignitor, so just take a 250 and a 400w

if its been off a while chances are the ignitor is dead too. its also possible the ballast has burnt out

I keep a free-bee pair of binoculars in the van for jobs like this care of the National Trust who must have sent me about 5 pairs over the years.

AC casings are usually pretty tough, the units are often ground mounted so are designed to be sat-on.

Thanks all. Abtec were very helpful until  they saw the pic and said its not theirs. Anyhow, after having a quick look off a ladder (250w) i decided the fitting were all too corroded . Went & hired a tower and bought some 100 W Led fittings  and changed them all. I could not budge a single screw on the old lights, there were 8 flat heads per light. This was in the snow on Friday and am just about  recovering today, i am getting too old for this