Three phase supply for storage heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

Reaction score
Hello

I am currently trying to resolve an issue to do with a three phase switch that appears to have failed in a work location office building that we lease.  We lost power to our storage heaters in December.  It may have been a result of a local area power outage.  The energy supplier responded and sent out a contractor to replace meters.  Whilst on site, the energy suppliers contractor said that it was most likely to be the three phase switch which appears to be the case. The issue as you will know is that any work completed cannot be checked as the supply only come on midnight till 0600hrs.  The energy supplier stated they are not responsible for three phase parts.  We have both single and three phase into the building.  I have consulted with two electricians who cannot source the part and have both said they believe it should be the suppliers responsibility to replace it.  Two months later and a purchase of oil filled radiators, I am raising it as a complaint with the energy supplier.  Just trying to find out if anyone have come across this problem before.  I have asked for any contractual info stating they are not responsible for three phase parts.  They did say they would have changed it if it was single phase.

Picture supplied, any advice, if you have come across this problem before would be helpful.

Thanks Dave

https://twitter.com/davebrokenspoke/status/1090980109199249409?s=12

Looking at your picture that is just a large contactor, also it does not appear to be switching 3 phases as there are only 2 thick cables going in and out,(the thin ones are for control) in which case it's either just switching 2 phases(unusual) or it's actually switching both the live and neutral of a single phase supply. If it is just a contactor I can't understand why they are unable to obtain one, I could quite easily! what area are you in?

hopefully, our little telephone conversation has helped point you in the right direction, as I said feel free to ring anytime, best wishes, phil

Hi Phil

Thank you for the chat and info.  I have sent the part link on to an electrician, so hopefully we will get it sorted and get the heating back on.  Thanks you for this advice, I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers Dave :signthankspin:

Hello

I am currently trying to resolve an issue to do with a three phase switch that appears to have failed in a work location office building that we lease.  We lost power to our storage heaters in December.  It may have been a result of a local area power outage.  The energy supplier responded and sent out a contractor to replace meters.  Whilst on site, the energy suppliers contractor said that it was most likely to be the three phase switch which appears to be the case. The issue as you will know is that any work completed cannot be checked as the supply only come on midnight till 0600hrs.  The energy supplier stated they are not responsible for three phase parts.  We have both single and three phase into the building.  I have consulted with two electricians who cannot source the part and have both said they believe it should be the suppliers responsibility to replace it.  Two months later and a purchase of oil filled radiators, I am raising it as a complaint with the energy supplier.  Just trying to find out if anyone have come across this problem before.  I have asked for any contractual info stating they are not responsible for three phase parts.  They did say they would have changed it if it was single phase.

Picture supplied, any advice, if you have come across this problem before would be helpful.

Thanks Dave

https://twitter.com/davebrokenspoke/status/1090980109199249409?s=12

If it was the suppliers responsibility then they would normally label it as their property. I suspect that your tariff switches all of your supply to an economy 7 tariff during the night not just your storage heating. Without more info or pictures of your distribution equipment it is just a wild guess