Waste carriers license??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Under the wee regulations if you buy from a reputable dealer all lamps and electrical waste can be transported by you for disposal on a return basis.

So for every lamp you buy your wholesaler should take the old one for disposal.

I may be totally wrong, I have a meeting with the HSE next week so no doubt I will be put right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the wee regulations if you buy from a reputable dealer all lamps and electrical waste can be transported by you for disposal on a return basis.So for every lamp you buy your wholesaler should take the old one for disposal.

I may be totally wrong, I have a meeting with the HSE next week so no doubt I will be put right.
I agree with yo about this for DISPOSAL, but you need a license to carry the waste...

TBH I thought that you could take your packaging back to the wholesalers for disposal... IIRC there was a thing in the press about returning excess packaging to the supermarket?????

Unfortunately the HSE have nothing to do with this issue... it's the environment agency.....

My neighbour had a new boiler fitted by BG (more money than sense) anyways they left the waste in bags for him to dispose of

i thought it only applied if you are transporting or removing the waste for profit?

i didnt read the letter properly they sent me, looked at the top, looked at the price, put in bin.

Herein lies the farce...

You do a bit of work for person 'X' who has NO need to go the the local waste tip. (all of their normal waste can be accommodated by standard bin & recycling collections.)

There is a small bit of waste that can comfortably fit inside your vehicle.

You also have some "Normal" everyday family waste that you will be taking to the tip anyway.. e.g. family with children & pets, normal bin collection cannot accommodate all of your waste & you do not want pet waste lying around for 4 days before next bin collection.

So you are going to the tip anyway

You are travelling back from your customer anyway

The waste can be moved from customer 'X' to your home to the waste tip with NO extra journeys or fuel.

YET officially YOU shouldn't do this..

Although environmentally it is good use of fuel & energy!

phtt!!!!!

Part P has its niggles...

But waste carriers licence for normal small domestic bits is..

VE BIGGIST ROAD OV BORROX, as my Chinese friend said to me!

X(X( X(

spoke to my wholesaler about this because the local council has a weekly 'survey' check point and wholesaler has told me that they will give me a permit once a week to dispose of any rubbish upon request, they have agreement with local tip,

ive never asked but instead simply use the excuse that i'm not allowed to transport customers rubbish because of this 'waste tax' (

I think these laws have been out for quite a few years now.I know you are supposed to have a licence to transport scrap cable to the scrap man, but they dont seem to ask to see it.

We have in Reading area started having spot checks by local enviromental dept at police speed/road tax check points & fines are dished out.

i dont need a licence, if stopped its not my rubbish on the van it is the customers and i mearly moving it to the tip for him for free.

if it was my rubbish i would get a licence of course.