Honeywell Alarm touchscreen blank

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGANDYT

Reaction score
Hi there we moved in to a house that has the attached alarm a few years ago. It's got a Honeywell Alarm that we've never been able to use because we didn't want to pay to have it monitored, and every time it trips the security company has to be contacted to reset. Ideally we just want to be able to set and disarm ourselves. But thecakarm company wanted £200 to change it to do that.

We haven't ever used as a result, but the touchscreen works, every so often the we get tamper beeps because of low batteries, or recently cold weather it seems. We just popped in the code and it was fine. But recently the touchscreen wont turn on, and the akarm kerps beeping, not the full wail just an annoying internal beep and we can't stop it now because we can't put in a code.

I'm sick to death of the flipping thing and just want to turn it off. Question is how. Ive seen posts that say disconnect the battery and the transformer. Problem is I know where the battery is, but not the transformer, looked everywhere and only thing I can see is the panel next to the touchscreen. Would appreciate any help. I guess 1. Reasons why the touch screen has gone blank. 2. What that load of cables is, I'd it a replacement for the transformer and could I just get an electrician to remove?

You can see images here

https://ibb.co/ZhshmNv
https://ibb.co/93Kj1Gy

Cheers

Andy

No idea what the cables are, but touch screen is blank because it has no power, probably blown fuse.

You have miss read / understood about  what to do, your battery should be in a large grey box marked honeywell, you disconnect the battery and the MAINS to the transformer (Not the transformer it self)  You do this by pulling out the fuse. The fuse will be in a small fuse carrier near the transformer, its grey and has a stick up tab, you just pull the tab and out it will come along with the fuse. Just hope the battery in the external sounder is flat, other wise it will start and go for 20 minutes.

You could always post a picture of the alarm panel with its lid off

As a matter of interest, the device batteries should be changed every 3 years and the panel battery every 4/5 years depending on brand.

Thanks so much for your help, I changed the battery last summer, problem is those cables are all I can find, no idea where the transformer is or an associated fuse box, that's the issue, will post a pic of the grey box later. I appreciate your advice. Thanks. 

Oh and we've had this beep before, I think it's indicating a tamper alarm which happened on one window sensor as the little battery needed changing. Touchscreen told us which one and we replaced, but now cuz they touchscreen is off/broken I don't know which sensor is causing the issue :(

I'll keep looking for this fuse box.

cheers

Andy

You will never find it because there isn't one to find.

What you are looking for, is as I said the big grey box (its the one with the main battery in it)

The beeping is caused because you have a blown fuse / low panel battery.

Take the panel lid off and you will see the fuse you need to pull, but do post a picture of inside first.

Yes, that is the outside, but i did say "Take the panel lid off and you will see the fuse you need to pull, but do post a picture of inside first."

I don't understand the confusion here if you just what to kill it. The upper box OUTSIDE the big enclosure is surely a fused spur supplying the mains to the alarm and removing the fuse will kill the system, subject to the time it take for both the main battery and the bell box battery to discharge. 

You can take a wire off the internal battery rather than wait for that to discharge.

I suggest removing any batteries from remote sensors too, just so they don't leak and destroy the unit, in case you change your mind in the future.

Quick update, so it seems disconnecting the battery and flipping the fuse has brought the LCD back to life, maybe it just needed a reset.

So now I can see which sensor is playing up and fix like before. So thanks for that.

Question is now, is there anyway to set it so that I can arm and disarm with my code, without the security company having to reset it after it goes off? A way that doesn't involve me shelling out loads of money to that company to change it. 150-200 quid seems steep.

Thanks

Hey guys any ideas on how I can change the alarm so I can arm and disarm with my code, and not have to call the security company to reset if it goes off? As I said they said it could be done but want a couple of hundred quid to do it. Any other options?

What part of the UK are you in and is it still under contract and monitored who is the company and is there a police response on the panel as there is a GSM module connected to that panel 

Sorry, been busy. If anyone or even BIGANDYT returns, the answer to your question of can you make it so you do not need to call the alarm company to reset it, the answer is no.

It has been programmed to be "remote reset only" its not a way to make money, its done in compliance with the regulations so that the cause of the alarm has to be found every time to reduce false alarms.

IF however you have the remote signaling removed  it is then permissible to have it as customer reset.

All this is done via programming and knowing how to programme it.

The programming is done by entering the Engineers code, which is unique to each alarm company. 

Yes it is possible to "default" the panel back to factory state, but as the panel you have is a galaxy they are not the easiest panel to work on, I suggest it would be better if you changed the whole system to something less complicated.

You may also have radio detectors which will also need changing