Testing tools required

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Winters

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to start my training as a domestic installer electrician.

I'm keen to build out a list of tools that I will need. I believe I've got most of the standard hand and power tools, but would welcome some guidance about testing tools.

I've seen these https://www.kewtechcorp.com/products in use particularly the multifunction tester which I'm assuming i will need. However without experience it's hard to know how to compare different brands etc.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Nathan

Learn to crawl before you walk.

I didn't sit my inspection and testing 2391 until after I was out of my time. So about five years of experience. If you think you can do testing with no experience you will likely damage the installation and possibly injure yourself or someone else.

I would start with a two pole voltage indicator for safe isolation and a mid-range digital multimeter to measure resistance with to start getting the basics right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be spending any money on a MFT at this stage ................ your training should mean you will use such devices ............ get some hands on experience before getting your wallet out

Your MFT is really important, so buy once and buy wisely ............ start saving for it now AND make sure you invest in a shock proof case if it doesn't come in one ............. another expense but necessary. My current MFT is 9 years old and the case its in has extended its life lots ...............plus its a useful seat at times too