Forum question ???????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does this forum have an area which the general public can't see? 

I was thinking about starting a topic about pricing a job but didn't want Joe Public to see it

Thanks

There are some areas designated as accessible for members only, who have paid a subscription to assist with the forums running costs. Such as Gold members, I don't think Silver membership qualifies, but I may be wrong? This has been active since May 2016.  Also the Tips & Tricks forum is classed as for subscribed members only, Though I can't remember what the exact entry requirements are for that either. This has been active since August 2008. Its has been a while since they were both established and by default I can view the content anyway, so I am not 100% who can and who can't access them.  All I can suggest is if you have found the forum useful, why not purchase a Gold membership and give it a try?  I am sure all funds to support the running cost will be gratefully received. And you are under no obligation to renew membership if you feel the forum is not providing any benefit to your requirements.

Doc H.   

I think the Gold Area was closed ...not sure  ...  I'm a Gold member  with slightly more than 200 posts  but have no access  . 

Tricks of the Trade I CAN access. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Gold Area was closed ...not sure  ...  I'm a Gold member  with slightly more than 200 posts  but have no access  . 

Tricks of the Trade I CAN access. 

I suspect you are correct, it looks as though no one has posted there since May 2018, and there was discussion about closing due to lower post content? the posts are still there but as a Moderator I can automatically view it anyway so I cant see if it is bared to anyone. The Tips and Tricks is not open to normal un-subscription members is it?

Doc H.    

Does this forum have an area which the general public can't see? 

I was thinking about starting a topic about pricing a job but didn't want Joe Public to see it

Thanks
Murdo   you could discuss that in the Dancing Sheep  & Cats section  , but you'd need to upgrade to Gold Membership  ....you know it  makes sense .   Less than  3 packs of Ciggies .  Can't be bad.

I presume Joe Public would not access until  they had 200 posts &  Gold Membership  .  

So to re-cap for Murdoch, there is an area on the forum only open to subscribed members, which should answer his requirement of not wanting joe-Public to see, (Unless of course joe-public decided to buy a subscription!).  And it appears that Andy has just added a very appropriate short video of some cats watching a window cleaner in there. So if you cant see the Cats at the moment Murdoch, that is where you need to get access to.

Doc H.

Murdo   you could discuss that in the Dancing Sheep  & Cats section  , but you'd need to upgrade to Gold Membership  ....you know it  makes sense .   Less than  3 packs of Ciggies .  Can't be bad.

I presume Joe Public would not access until  they had 200 posts &  Gold Membership  .  

I don't smoke (well I did when they were about £1 per packet)  so a bargain for under £3.00!

Well even Marvo's in there now posting cat videos. I hope our Forum tech support has the CAT scanner ready operational just in case we need it to locate any hidden posts?  What is more surprising is that a member since 2014, with over 2900 posts, such as Murdoch, hasn't joined us as a paid up member yet?  The more core members we have both posting and giving a moderate financial contribution the greater the long term stability can be assured to keep the forum running. Obviously there is no obligation or pressure on any members, but all are welcome to help support the forum funding. 

Doc H. 

i thought it was just a silly posts area fro stuff like this  :kermit: :santa-reindeer-dancing-1: :maria: :mistletoe-kiss-smiley-emoticon: :needdrink:

The top banner reads:-

This is a Private Area for GOLD Members only who have contributed to the Forum with 200 Posts or more.​

This is not an area for posts that should be on the main forum. Any member found posting here with topics that are acceptable on the main forum will have their posts moved to the main area, persistent offenders will receive a ban for a period of time.​

This area will be heavily moderated.​
So any content should have valid reason to not be on the open forum.

Doc H

Obviously there is no obligation or pressure on any members, but all are welcome to help support the forum funding.
Thats a good point from The Doc  I have to say  ,   we have many regular members  who use and enjoy this  friendly place  with a common thread linking us all together ,  myself included  and as I remember from the days of our founder , the Welsh Wizard ,  the Forum doesn't run itself  .  

Obviously there will always be occasional  posters ,  one  only posters ,  the non electrical  posters  etc so its down   to the front benchers to  do their best with support , as I see it . 

As The Doc says , no one is ever under pressure.