How many cables can you fit in a JB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why didn’t they use the centre left terminal? It would have made it so much neater.
Yeah it would have made all the difference.  :slap

It was conveniently place away from any ceiling roses or switch drops so took a while to find!! 

DIYer's. Same house theres spurs on spurs. Usual stuff. There's no CPC in the lights anyway only what the guy added. The conusmer unit had been replaced a while ago. Contactum board. Not an RCD in site and it's TT so I'm guessing that the DIY'er who did the above put that in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the twisted earths over the top of the lid making it impossible to access (without untwisting)

And the "hunt the JB" game when you find a house wired spider fashion.  You know there is a big JB on each floor but where?  The one for downstairs is under a floorboard, probably now covered in laminate flooring but nobody knows where.  The upstairs one is under 6 layers of loft insulation.  Somewhere.

Ah yes, the twisted earths over the top of the lid making it impossible to access (without untwisting)

And the "hunt the JB" game when you find a house wired spider fashion.  You know there is a big JB on each floor but where?  The one for downstairs is under a floorboard, probably now covered in laminate flooring but nobody knows where.  The upstairs one is under 6 layers of loft insulation.  Somewhere.
Hunt the JB or as I told the house owner the ****tiest treasure you can take part in!!

could have at least connected all the conductors inside (except earths), fitted the lid then twisted all the earths together over the top of the lid
Or if you could find any you could use those Ashley JB brackets that sat under the JB and gave you two earth terminals .

i thought they were a really neat idea until, it was decreed that all joints should be in an enclosure

I liked the Ashley boxes for the few domestic installs I did. My first house must have been held together with them. Not out of choice, Mrs. S could change her mind with the months or the seasons. It got to the stage that for the first floor lighting I used the Octopus wiring method, so flexible. One central JB from which all the lighting wiring radiated. I know @Sidewinder has considered this method for his house.

I am about to rewire my own house just now, I am just in the middle of making up two junction boxes with Wago top loaders on DIN rail for the upstairs and downstairs lights. If I get a chance I will post a pic of the box unpopulated but with terminals tomorrow.

Has to be the best way to wire lights, pity it has fallen out of fashion.

One of the boxes will be mounted on a wooden board in the loft the other on the 1st landing in the cupboard where the hot water cylinder used to be.

Box one of two under construction for upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits.

4 way top loader Wago terminals with disconnector used.

Using a spare terminal as a separator between live, earth, neutral and switch live. (I know I talk old money, but I'm retired 😁)

IMG_20190212_122503.jpg