How many cables can you fit in a JB

Rutts35

This DIY'er says he can get nine cables in....... easy. 🙄

20190209_151332.jpg

20190209_151336.jpg

ProDave

I have seen a lot worse. Shame he had no earth sleeving,

kerching

Why use connector strip when there is a spare terminal ?

I too have seen more than that in one JB.!

....and twisting the earths! WHY?

a twister is not a tester

just saying

Tony S

Why didn’t they use the centre left terminal? It would have made it so much neater.

Rutts35
7 hours ago, Tony S said:

Why didn’t they use the centre left terminal? It would have made it so much neater.

Yeah it would have made all the difference. :slap

It was conveniently place away from any ceiling roses or switch drops so took a while to find!! 

DIYer's. Same house theres spurs on spurs. Usual stuff. There's no CPC in the lights anyway only what the guy added. The conusmer unit had been replaced a while ago. Contactum board. Not an RCD in site and it's TT so I'm guessing that the DIY'er who did the above put that in as well.

Edited by Rutts35

Andy™

could have at least connected all the conductors inside (except earths), fitted the lid then twisted all the earths together over the top of the lid

ProDave

Ah yes, the twisted earths over the top of the lid making it impossible to access (without untwisting)

And the "hunt the JB" game when you find a house wired spider fashion.  You know there is a big JB on each floor but where?  The one for downstairs is under a floorboard, probably now covered in laminate flooring but nobody knows where.  The upstairs one is under 6 layers of loft insulation.  Somewhere.

Rutts35
35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah yes, the twisted earths over the top of the lid making it impossible to access (without untwisting)

And the "hunt the JB" game when you find a house wired spider fashion.  You know there is a big JB on each floor but where?  The one for downstairs is under a floorboard, probably now covered in laminate flooring but nobody knows where.  The upstairs one is under 6 layers of loft insulation.  Somewhere.

Hunt the JB or as I told the house owner the ****tiest treasure you can take part in!!

kerching
10 hours ago, Andy™ said:

could have at least connected all the conductors inside (except earths), fitted the lid then twisted all the earths together over the top of the lid

Or if you could find any you could use those Ashley JB brackets that sat under the JB and gave you two earth terminals .

i thought they were a really neat idea until, it was decreed that all joints should be in an enclosure

Tony S

I liked the Ashley boxes for the few domestic installs I did. My first house must have been held together with them. Not out of choice, Mrs. S could change her mind with the months or the seasons. It got to the stage that for the first floor lighting I used the Octopus wiring method, so flexible. One central JB from which all the lighting wiring radiated. I know @Sidewinder has considered this method for his house.

Blue Duck

Think it was @steptoe .

TBH, probably the best way to do it.

Rutts35

I used to use the Ashley 501's  all the time before wagos were about. Was considering a central jb for my own gaff

Tony S

Octopus is so flexible but a system few understand. I used Weidmuller DIN rail connectors in a 8” x 8” adaptable box.

Tony S
5 minutes ago, Rutts35 said:

I used to use the Ashley 501's  all the time before wagos were about. Was considering a central jb for my own gaff

Do it, makes life so easier afterwards.

Rutts35

I was gonna use some sort of din rail system. My loft is full of poxy jbs (previous owner was a builder). They're everywhere! 

Edited by Rutts35

Blue Duck

Am using wago top jobs to build lighting control panels, they are pretty good once you get over how tight the springs are.

Tony S
3 minutes ago, Rutts35 said:

I was gonna use some sort of din rail system. My lift is full of poxy jbs (previous owner was a builder). They're everywhere! 

One tip, glue an encapsulated drawing to the lid of the box. Umpteen cables going here, there and everywhere is a mind blower!

roys

I am about to rewire my own house just now, I am just in the middle of making up two junction boxes with Wago top loaders on DIN rail for the upstairs and downstairs lights. If I get a chance I will post a pic of the box unpopulated but with terminals tomorrow.

Has to be the best way to wire lights, pity it has fallen out of fashion.

One of the boxes will be mounted on a wooden board in the loft the other on the 1st landing in the cupboard where the hot water cylinder used to be.

Tony S

I look forward to seeing old ways in a modern environment :Salute

roys

Box one of two under construction for upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits.

4 way top loader Wago terminals with disconnector used.

Using a spare terminal as a separator between live, earth, neutral and switch live. (I know I talk old money, but I'm retired 😁)

IMG_20190212_122503.thumb.jpg.ae377ea01dec67d66b43381af74038d5.jpg

Edited by roys
Tidy up

Rutts35

Can you not get jumpers to link the terminals?

Tony S
28 minutes ago, Rutts35 said:

That is why I would recommend Weidmuller terminals. Busbar sections make them so easy and therefore neat.

The original “Octopus” system.

Octopus-1.jpg.80e7d3215a22b710268c312b5a982e3a.jpg

Octopus-2.jpg.6d8559798bf05b1d792546406df9973d.jpg

Rutts35

Wagos do do jumpers for some of their terminals. Although weudmuller with the jumper bars are good to use. 

17 minutes ago, Tony S said:

That is why I would recommend Weidmuller terminals. Busbar sections make them so easy and therefore neat.

The original “Octopus” system.

Octopus-1.jpg.80e7d3215a22b710268c312b5a982e3a.jpg

Octopus-2.jpg.6d8559798bf05b1d792546406df9973d.jpg

An original octopus. Take from a rewire? 

roys
2 hours ago, Rutts35 said:

You don’t get jumpers for the Wago terminals that I have used, although other Wago terminals do have the jumper facility.

I like these terminals because they are 4 gang (although some of that is lost through the addition of wire links) and they have the disconnector lever on them so I can easily isolate parts of the circuit if need be.

steptoe
On 11/02/2019 at 20:32, Blue Duck said:

Think it was @steptoe .

TBH, probably the best way to do it.

I did , but the post is well buried by now