spur for dishwasher

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red111

Reaction score
Good morning all.please see the picture attached , there is a cable coming from the ceiling ( one cable , and connected somehow to the main ring - i believe whether a junction box or else ) attached to a 13 amp fcu . the fcu outputs 2 cables : 

-one goes to a 3 pin socket to be used for a dishwasher ( the dishwasher is 10 amps itself ) --

and

-one  goes to a 3 amps  FCU   Then connects using a flex cable  to a boiler (boiler rated at  3 amps )

The switch board is old and does not have RCD .

is that enough or should i use RCD spur to replace the fcu or any where else .

any suggestions or help is really welcome. thank you .

advice rcd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you would be best replacing the consumer unit with a new one that includes RCD protection
Thank you for the answer .  we just want a temporary solution until ready to change that unit . if safe off course .

leaving the current installation as it for now ( FCU outputting 2 cables ) is ok ?
Depends on whether the cable coming down from the ceiling has anything else attached before it joins the ring, and whether it is surrounded by thermal insulation etc.

Note that an RCD fused spur to BS7288 is not in the list of RCD types recognised by reg 531.3.6 and therefore does not afford additional protection.

Note that an RCD fused spur to BS7288 is not in the list of RCD types recognised by reg 531.3.6 and therefore does not afford additional protection.

Please excuse my ignorance, buts what is the reason that these RCD’s do not offer additional protection?

Please excuse my ignorance, buts what is the reason that these RCD’s do not offer additional protection?
You would have to ask JPEL/64 committee why they omitted bs7288 rcds (includes srcd socket outlets too) in the 18th. No BS EN numbers were quoted in previous editions as far as I can see. 

One guess is that you have both latching and non latching types in the same standard, which for socket outlet RCDs could introduce a danger on reconnection of supply with power tools etc or inconvenience eg fridges, but I don't know. 

Or perhaps they want to get away from individual appliance/point of use RCDs and prefer protection of whole circuits/groups of circuits, as in lighting and socket circuits.

Slowly but surely  this trade is strangling it's self  .   I was listening to a young sparky at the wholesalers  ... gave the impression he would be scared to open the toolbox everyday.   

Depends on whether the cable coming down from the ceiling has anything else attached before it joins the ring, and whether it is surrounded by thermal insulation etc.

The following is taken from the NICEIC/ECA/ELECSA pocket guide No 25 (17th ed Amd 3):

The 18th edition version of this guide does not appear to have been released yet but I can't see why it will differ

image.png

Also 415.1.1 states

"The use of RCDs with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA is recognized in AC systems as additional protection ....."

Thank you for the answer .  we just want a temporary solution until ready to change that unit . if safe off course .
pointless for one socket, you could add RCD next to board for the circuit in a small enclosure, at least that way you protect the whole circuit and you could use the RCD in the new board when you get around to it.