32 Amp plug to 13 Amp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramon

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been give a couple of Rack PDUs which I want to use on a project.  Now this PDU has a 32 Amp plug and I want to change it to 13 Amp.   I'm only attaching a couple of domestic lights to this PDU so the Amps used will be way under 1.  I would assume that this would therefore be a safe thing to do?  Now the wiring for the 32 Amp plug is quite thick (and would not fit into a 13 Amp Plug) - so what would in your expert opinion be the best way forward?  I appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Here's a link to this PDU if anyone wants to check the specification:  https://www.apc.com/shop/mk/en/products/Rack-PDU-Switched-2U-32A-230V-16-C13/P-AP7922 

Thanks for that .... I was a bit worried as the 32A plug was so massive - and was reading something about the 32A - 13A only being for PAT testing - but I guess the crucial thing is the loading of the PDU that will be very low.

One other question (I'm not an electricity expert) ... Is it better practice to replace with a smaller CSA or to get a 32-13 converter  ?

Thanks

I'd say if you  make up a short flex  1.5  X 3 core  say ,  with a 32A female socket  to a 13A plug  with a 5A fuse in it  you could , in the future  re-use  the device as designed  without messing with it again .